Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Little Red Hen Bread

This was one of the most delicious Hostess gifts I ever received. It was from our sweet neighbor lady, Wanda, (and her husband) the other evening when we had them down for dinner. I was so glad that she gave the recipe, that way I can share it with you all, as well.
~Little Red Hen Bread~


Stir together:
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Blend into above:
4 cups buttermilk
4 Tbs. oil
1/2 cup honey

Pour batter into 2 5x8-ish pans. Bake at 325* for 1 hour. Yields: two loaves

That's it! It was so moist - surprisingly as homemade Whole Wheat Bread tends to be on the "drier side" for me. It was a wonderful snack, in the afternoon, with a little spread of peanut butter and jam, and a tall glass of refreshing whole milk. It felt so healthy.

Enjoy! I'll be making this recipe for myself in the days to come.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bevy,
    Thanks for posting this recipe~~it looks wonderful! I've already printed it out and will have to try it soon. Did you know that King Arthur Flour makes a White Whole Wheat flour? It has the same healthy properties as regular whole wheat flour, but it's lighter in color and tastes sweeter. I use it in a lot of recipes that call for whole wheat flour. We get it at Giant.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe...it looks wonderful. Maybe I'll even have a chance to try it this afternoon.
    On a side note, I just wanted to let you know that I made the Blueberry Lemon Bread recipe that you posted a few days ago. It was so yummy! Caden kept asking for "more blueberry bread please," until I told him he had eaten more than enough. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying reading your blog. I was directed here by some good friends. In fact, I believe I was one of your patients on the Maternity floor at GVH almost six years ago! Blessings on your upcoming move. Thanks for sharing.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tracy,
    Thanks so much for your comment! Now, you have me curious as to who you are and or your friends, but that's okay. I am just grateful for the opportunity to have "aided" you - back then! Wow! 6 yrs ago has passed by... and am excited to know that you enjoy reading my blog. Thanks for checking in.
    ~Bevy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...