Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The History of Aprons!

Did you realize that there was such a thing??


One of my dear friends, Nancy, gave me this story-piece; "The History of Aprons", thinking I would like it. She was right!


So, much so, that I want to share it with you...

I'm sure this has been seen before either as an email or in other blog postings. I just really enjoyed reading its sentiments and felt I could imagine it quite well...because, if I stop to think about it, both of my grandmothers and my mother could often be found wearing one of their favorite aprons, pretty much all day...

This is actually one of my own. One that I don't wear often enough. I got it as a Christmas gift last year - actually I begged for it to made for me. My sweet friend Amiee had no problem "whipping this one up" - in no time, except that I had to wait for it to show up as one of my Christmas presents. But every time I do wear it - It makes me think of Amiee and she will be in my thoughts and prayers as I busy myself in and around the kitchen.


The History of Aprons


"I don't think our kids know what an apron is. The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons then dresses, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.


It was wonderful for drying children's tears and on occasion it was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.


From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished warming in the oven.


When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.


And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.


Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow while bent over the hot wood stove... chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron, too.

From the garden it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.


In the fall, the apron, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew that it was time to come in from the fields for dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace the 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Remember:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool ... nowadays the granddaughter's set theirs on the window sill to thaw... going crazy in trying to figure out just how many germs were on that old apron of Grandma's.

I doubt anyone ever caught anything from an apron... but LOVE!!"


: : photo taken of my Mother in her favorite apron.

2 comments:

  1. I can still see Mom in the kitchen wearing her apron. She made the best cherry pies and apple pies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev,
    I am just now reading this for the first time. I'm a little late, huh? I love the memory I have of you in your apron, in your kitchen, during our time together at your home.
    LOVE,
    M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...