Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Daffodils!

So spring has officially sprung around here. Where we live it's really hard to plant flowers because of all pine trees and wooded area. So, these are the few forms of beauty that do proudly show their colors. It always make me smile... especially when daffodils bring on two very different memories that I want to share with you today.




One of those is... Daffodil Cake! My Mother would make this recipe every spring or especially around Easter time. I was thinking about it the other day... of course, because of these pictures and when her and I talked this morning over the phone she mentioned that she would like to make this cake for Easter dinner. As it turns out - I offered to make it for part of my contribution to the meal. So I have the cake recipe but no picture of it as of yet. The recipe is from an old Mennonite Community Cookbook and you can see what the book looks like here .
The other memory that I have as a result of Daffodils comes from our honeymoon and a "little argument" that Scott and I would have each time we drove past this little church.
We stayed at a wonderful little cabin (in VA) "way off the beaten path", so it seemed. And every time we needed to get out to civilization we would pass by this little white church which underneath it's sign were these beautiful daffodils. I got to thinking that the time of year wasn't quite right for such bright yellow daffodils. This was about the middle of May! So, I mentioned that "they weren't real... that they had to be fake, and that I knew people who did that sort of thing". (No offense if you are ones of those!!- each to his own. It is sort of ingenious.)
Well, Scott did not agree with me. To him, they were very real. Until, finally, I insisted that we pull over into the church parking lot (while out on one of our excursions). He wondered what I was going to do until I bailed out of the car, walked over to the flower bed, pulled a silk flower stem out of the ground, waved it in the air and promptly stuck it back into the ground. All I got was, "oh!". (Sorry, little church - I just blew your cover.)
It still makes me chuckle. Not because I "won that argument" but just for the memory that it made. Now, here is that recipe for the daffodil cake I mentioned ( I wish I had a picture of it, for you).
~Daffodil Cake~
A beautiful yellow and white cake; perfect for the occasion!
1st part:
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Beat egg whites until frothy, add salt and cream of tarter. Beat until stiff but not dry. Gradually beat in sugar (tablespoon at a time). Gradually fold in flour; add vanilla. Pour into un-greased tube pan.
2nd part:
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs. cold water
2/3 cup cake flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. orange or lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon- colored. Add water, flavorings and sugar. Continue to beat. Sift together flour and baking powder; add gradually to egg foam mixture. Fold together until blended. Pour on top of white batter and bake at 350* for one hour. Invert tube pan to cool.
This recipe sounds boring, to me, without an icing. So I plan to drizzle a lemon-flavored glaze made with powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk over the top as it is just about cool.
Other wise I remember it to be like a sponge cake. It is so good!! And it is a great dessert to keep as a "tradtion" made special at Easter time or simply just because it's Spring!

: : photos taken of daffodils out in our bare yard.

1 comment:

  1. i am so excited that you posted this recipe, my mom used to make that cake when i was little but we could not find the recipe! thanks for sharing! i dont do great with flower beds here, i wish i had thought of silk flowers. JK, JK!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...