Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday's Finds - Choice Words!

"How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter then honey to my mouth!" ~ Psalm 119: 103
Several weeks, ago now, we were outside raking and cleaning up the yard. And we found this - what we think was a - yellow jacket's nest. Thankfully, it was an abandoned nest. Something like this would not have been too pleasant to unveil while there was still life - buzzing around in here. What does this have to do with choice words? Obviously, when I see a nest like this -it reminds me of my own house ("heart life", if you will).

I turned to scripture to see what I could find. Scripture doesn't even talk much about these type of insects but it does make several references to honey, even wild honey (but that's a whole other subject). I know that yellow jackets do not produce a sweet honey, to enjoy, as we would get from honey bees, but rather what we get is "selfish, nasty and erratic" behavior if and when they are bothered. Uhmmm. Did I mention choice words?

: : Sources say, "It's a good idea to leave ignore these insects, (maybe they'll go away), unless they are infringing on your daily activities - and for that their are ways to get rid of them". Otherwise, they are a good thing to have around as they eat other insects , etc. The only real nuisance about them, and why they are deemed "pesty", is because of their ability to sting.

Here are several verses found in Psalm 19 that really got me thinking about this...
starting with verse 7.
"The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The
statues of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts
of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord
are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the Lord is pure,
enduring forever. The ordinances of the Lord are sure
and altogether righteous.
They are more precious then gold,
then much pure gold; they are sweeter then honey,
then honey from the comb.
By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults.
Verse 13... Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they
not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless, innocent of great
transgression.
May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight O Lord,
my Rock and my Redeemer."



Another interesting fact about the way a yellow jacket will build it's nest, is that it will be be mostly underground and burrowed deep into the crevices of a former hole dug out by some other creature. It also will build it's nest in layers (as you saw in the one picture). I just thought this was all interesting to think about... seeing quite a few similarities in regards to my own house or "heart life". The deep, the hidden, the dark, layer upon layer that I don't often let other's see unless I am, quite frankly, "bothered". And then, sadly, comes the selfish, the nasty, and even (at times) the erratic behaviors or words or thoughts - what have you.

It reminds me of the song; "My heart is like a house. One day I let the Savior in. I was so ashamed. His light revealed my hidden sin.... (chorus) Is there a place in your heart where even you won't go? You have some things hidden there, you don't want no one to know but He's handed you the key with tears of love on his face. He said, my child, I'll make you clean. Just let me in your secret place". I don't know if I have these words verbatim - I just went with what was off the top of my head.

But this is where I love the Word of God! The verses, I just shared, are such great reminders to me of how precious His words really are. Of where I need His grace and forgiveness on a regular basis. When I meditate on His goodness, and really take in these words as my food, then
My prayer is this...
"Lord, I want my words to be Choice Words! -and the meditations of my heart
to be pleasing to You".
Especially when it comes to the daily interractions with my spouse, my children, and of course, in all other relationships. Oh, I have a long way to go. Don't I, honey?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...