Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tried and True - Buttermilk Crumb Cake

You know how when you want to find a certain recipe and the cookbook your looking in has about 10 recipes (so similar to each other) all for basically the same thing, and you're afraid to try any random of the 10 - because you're just not sure which one was the recipe that Mom always used? That is unless you do either of two things... First; Call Mom! And second; Mark it with a big check mark - so that next time there is no such dilemma.


That is what I had to do with this recipe. It is now check marked in my "big red cookbook" - as we have so named it. I think all of my siblings (who have a kitchen to call their own), and my Mother, has one of these Franconia Culinary Pride 'n Joy Cookbooks. And this particular recipe has become one of my all time favorite "go-to", quick, whip-it-up early morning breakfast cake recipes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's really, really good served with (any) fresh fruit on the side. A recipe, tried and true...


~Buttermilk Crumb Cake~

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
Mix dry ingredients together and add shortening. Mix with pastry cutter till crumbly. Reserve a handful (about one cup) for crumb topping. Then mix together the following ingredients:
2 eggs beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Then add this mixture to the flour mixture. Pour into 9" square pan. Sprinkle the top with the reserved crumbs and bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.
:: I use my pampered chef stone square baker, and I don't need to grease mine. You may want to, depending on what type of pan you use.

2 comments:

  1. Try adding a cup of diced,fresh peaches to the batter. You will not be sorry, if you do. YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny!! My Italian grandmother made this crumb cake (except replaced the shortening with butter, and the buttermilk with regular milk). It is THE BEST!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...