Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Celebrating Friendships over Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake!

What is friendship, to you, and how does it play itself out in and throughout your life?

This is a question that I hope to ask two of my girlfriends today, as they come over for coffee,
this Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake and then as they stay for lunch.  I just thought of it as a "dig deep" type of question to stimulate some quality conversation rather then the typical -usual- small talk that is sometimes just plays itself as "safe".

I've just been casually turning pages of a book by Nichole Johnson, called "Fresh-Brewed Life".  This is one of my most absolute favorite books ... and the quick challange for me, today, was
 "How do I celebrate friendships?"

I know for me, personally, I don't laugh enough.  I can be too serious - I'm always thinking and or pondering (which in itself is not a bad thing)... but more often then not - I long for a spirit of celebration, first of myself and then to be able to share that with others.  But the only way for me to develop that is to surround myself with good friends who help to cultivate that.  These friends help me do that!

Marlene Dietrich says, "It's the friends you can call at four in the morning that really matter".
Uhmmm...makes me wonder if I am really that kind of friend?  How do you get to that point with people?
Is there really a clear defination to what true friendships are?
Think about it...
************
In the meantime, enjoy the recipe!!

~ Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake~

1 cup butter, softened
1 (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cup flour ( I love using Whole Wheat Flour for this recipe)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 chopped pecans
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and 1 1/4 cups sugar.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternating with milk.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Pour into a  greased 9" spring-form pan.  Combine pecans, cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; sprinkle over batter.  Bake at 350* for 50-55 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen.  Remove sides of pan.  Cool completely before cutting.  Yeild: 10-12 servings.


: : I am anxious to hear what these friends have to say... but, what do you think?  How do you celebrate friendship in your life?
****************

So, it's early afternoon.  Everyone left now. We had a wonderful morning visit.  Though, so short! 
And, I had an expectation.
My expectation was to really "dig deep" and to get into this conversation.  Instead, little ones always come first (which is the way it should be).  Yet, the questions got semi-touched on as we tried to converse over homemade pizza, canned peaches and tired, restless kids.  We all agreed, 
this is a hard season!!!!!!!

We all long to celebrate and cultivate friendships, more, in our lives.  And, so we'll try to do this again
 (and again).  Although when I mentioned the thought about friends really being your friends if you can call them at four in the morning.  My one girlfriend, was quick to say; "Please don't"!  The funny thing is we all would say that.  "Please don't" - although we all would know
that if we had to, we could. 

That's the best part about friendship.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...