Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday's Finds -When it is in your power to act...

Yesterday, while reading my devotions, out of Proverbs chapter 3, I found a verse that got me to thinking.  It's actually a couple of verses that have grabbed my attention before and it all came rushing back - afresh!
I just thought I would share these thoughts with you today as part of my Friday's Find's.

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. 
 Do not say to your neighbor, 'Come back later, I'll give it tomorrow', when you now have it with you." ~ Proverbs 3:27-28
  We all have it within us (those of us who are children of God, because of the Holy Spirit residing in us) to be faithful (not just sometimes) encouragers to our fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord.  But, I know how it is.  I want to send someone a note to let them know I've been thinking about them or praying for them, and life happens. The "to do" list is already rather long.  I quickly forget or get distracted.  Maybe it's pure procrastination - by simply saying, "Oh, I'll do that tomorrow". 
We all know a timely word or deed when it comes.  We have had it happen to us.  Someone shared specificaly to our need.  Whoever offered that "word" or deed was faithful.  They did not withhold... it was within their power to act...they had it and gave it - NOW!
Be encouraged.  But, what about you?  Are there specific things you've been meaning to follow through on and/or to act upon.  The Scripture is clear in asking us to determine to withhold nothing, especially when we have the power to act and accomplish something good.  We just need to do it.
 Here are a few ways that I thought of to better communicate God's grace to others, and, for doing this myself (because I am preaching to the choir, here):
MAYBE- just maybe it's also a step in this direction; to extend forgiveness to someone who has sinned against us and maybe it just means taking that first step towards reconciliation towards that person.
There are boundless ways to show God's grace through forms of hospitality (because this is really what this is all about).  I like what these two verses have to say about this as well.
" Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers". ~Galations 6: 9-10
I know me.  I have many, many days when I don't feel like it.  I have nothing left to give.  And, I am sure you have those kinds of days, too.  If we don't give up... we will reap a harvest.  I love that.  Sometimes it's not about us,...but we're just meant to be faithful...as encouragers. Doing good.  It's kind of like the rushing river in the picture above.  Our lives are to be that constant flow, that rush, that source of refreshment... we're forever connecting with people in ways that we have no idea how we truely affect them.  The end result of "doing good" may never be known to us here on this earth.  Are we really refreshing others, though?  That is the question.
: : Have I encouraged you, today?  If so, find a simple and tangible way to pass it on to someone else.
 It's in your power to do so... so, go ahead. Don't wait until tomorrow.
Of course, please feel free to leave a thought or comment on how you have been a recipient of a timely word or deed. And, how did that have an affect on you?

2 comments:

  1. While reading your post, I thought of several people that need to hear something "good" about them or at least give them a warm thought.
    I want you to know, that your blog is just the kind I like to read (real,honest,loving,and warm).
    I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a motivating post...I also tend to try to put things off, and never end up sending that note pr making that call...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...