Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday's Finds: In Quiet Storms...

This has been my first chance to get my thoughts together today for Friday's Finds.   So, it feels good to sit and actually have a moment to reflect.  Yesterday, I decided to throw the kids in the van (well, I didn't acutally throw them, but you know what I mean.) and QUICK run out to Lancaster Co., to pick up my sewing machine that I took out, on Saturday, to get serviced.  It desperately needed to be done...and I have tons of sewing that awaits me upstairs. 

Anyway.  The kids did great - slept for most of the trip home.  And, as I was driving, I was just thoroughly enjoying the beauty of the season.  The trees were turning their golden hue and reds were coming through...pumpkin patches everywhere and yet it was raining.  I LOVE rainy days, too.  So the combination was just soothing.  And so was listening to the radio, until...




News & Weather Forecast stating:  "Watch out for the Nor'Easter, coming to our area, over the next several days... starting this evening and continuing, until Sunday".


Well, it was already raining, pretty hard all day.  And after being home for awhile, evening was settling in - dinner was finished, the littles in bed.  It was budget night, Scott and I were talking low and you could just hear the wind HOWLing and roaring through and around our house.  I love it!!  Cozy night, a roof over our heads... Did you really hear me say that, love?  Yes!  It's true.  I LOVE STORMS - rainy days, hard thunderstorms, snow storms, wind howling, etc.  (These mentioned though, are honestly the extent of my experience. I never, in my life, experienced excessive flooding, or had to live through various storm devestation, etc. But I feel for those that have.)  I just honestly can't imagine it.

Then, after baking another Bavairan Apple Tart for Scott to take into work today.  Yes!  Another one.  I was washing up all the dishes - listening to the storm, and thinking.

Why is it then that I have such a hard time "loving" and embracing the "storms" that come our (my) way in the daily grind...of our lives?  I balk, and struggle to endure to "change" that it requires.  Is it that too many times I think life should be just smooth sailing?  No rifts.  No depth to the unknown - let's just live life on the surface. 

I reflected a bit longer and then recalled a passage in Psalm 107: 23-30.  It reads.

"They saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep.  For he spoke and stirred up the tempest that lifted high the waves.  They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths, in their peril their courage melted away.  They reeled and staggered like drunken men; they were at their wits' end.

Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress.  He stilled the storm to a whisper, and the waves of the sea were hushed.  They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven."
I also have in the side margin of my Bible a quick sketch (that I drew) of a large hand, cupped like as though it were a boat on a wild, stormy sea.  There is a little "person" sitting in there, as well.  And the caption that I came up with, which is written above the sketch - just to help me remember- is this;

"IF to sink or swim? Don't flail, just float. The palm of HIS hand, makes a great boat". 

There is something to be said about storms, though the severity of them at times can be "scary" and unnerving, remember, the waves are not for our destruction, but rather for our instruction.  Peace, be still... to our stormy worlds.

When Scott and I would find ourselves faced with a "storm like" (difficult) season and we just wern't sure what the outcome would be...I was so grateful to have him lead us in remembering the song by Casting Crowns -  "I will praise you in this storm".  This song couldn't be more real to us at times.  Our desire was to Praise God in and through the many storms that we have felt howling around us, one too many times.
: : It's amazing what prayer and praise (showing our LOVE to God!) can do to bring our hearts back.  Though it still may be stormy on the outside - may it be a quiet storm within- as we feel his peace overwhelm.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

: : Photo, (Fall Fury) taken up at my sister's place, last fall.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this gentle reminder of how the natural storms are related to the "storms" of life that we all experience from time to time. I am really enjoying reading the blog and being encouraged by your timely reflections on God's word.
    I will praise you in this storm, is one of my favorite "anthems" if you will, that always reminds me that no matter what God is there, even when we fail to see him through the heavy rain of the particular season.
    May God bless you and your family richly and enjoy your weekend.

    Laura (Suermann)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific post, Bev! I LOVE storms, too. Mostly because they lend to the female instint to nest and 'hunker down'. Thanks for getting me to think on the other storms in my life. A good word for me today.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bev!! Timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Sister!
    Your thoughts came through on "paper" with great comfort.
    I too, love a strom but haven't lived through a devastation. I'll try to remember your picture of the boat, if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been struggling with the storms in my life for a while now, seems we have be in the eye too long. Your post has helped me. I feel a bit more at peace witht the ebb and flow of life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bevy, I finally had a moment to stop by and read this post that you encouraged me to come by and peek at ~ after you left your lovely comment during my time of "trial". This was a beautifully written post. Thank you again. Your concern about me shows the beautiful heart that you have. Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...