Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Making or Breaking?

"Gee, let's see - I haven't cleaned mom's bathroom for her lately. Let's try this all again!" 

At least this time Aubrey was innocent and asleep in my arms (for about 10 minutes) when the discovery was made; only to wake up immediately... and yes, this time it all happened right at the time dinner was to be started.  Great timing, son.  Oh, the day was long and all day long there were "moments".... we'll just let that be that.

I hope you took the time to go back and read the previous post I just highlighted.  It's essentially what "re-happened" yesterday.  Again, I almost wished I had taken pictures - then again, I am so glad I didn't.  In years to come it will make for two (for now) funny stories, but in the moment - "it is never funny".

What I was glad about (grateful to God, more like it) was the way my heart and attitude didn't get the better of me (this time), and I was able to "go with the flow", sigh and deal graciously.  It was a mess.  However, I could have made it MUCH worse.  I have this phrase I say to myself often, and for various areas in my life, and it goes like this.

"My response will make or break a situation."

I forget.  And way too often (here of late), my expectations of parenting have been severely knocked off the pedestal. I too often make the situation worse through my response(s).  I tend to react, rather then respond. Interestingly enough, the sermon that was preached on Sunday was on this very topic.  Boasting in our weaknesses. The Pastor did a great job in his exposition of Scripture and tying it in with parenting.  He read out of  2 Corinthians 11:30-12:1-10  where Paul makes his defense against the false apostles and uses a paradox to get his point across. 

(I'm struggling to think of how to keep this short and in a nutshell).  But essentially he was saying when we have had elevated ideals of (marriage or) parenting, and it's easy to boast in those ideals or accomplishments - particulary of things with or about our kids- then when things "crumble" or dissappoint us, we can easily "boast in the weaknesses" of our kids.  But what about our own weaknesses? 

Are we open, honest,  and real in our communication to others "boasting about our weaknesses" in order to bring glory to God?  Because as the verse says "If I must boast, I will boast of things that show my weakness." and then to cling to the promise that God has given, of "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 

As the Apostle Paul continues he says, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then am I strong."

I really apprecitated this sermon and probably REALLY butchered it - trying to get my thoughts across.  But, there is nothing like getting put to the test - almost immediately.  Yet, I will continue to ask myself...
In upcoming situations; What will be my response?  Will my response make it or break it?   I know, some days are much better then others, that's for sure.  Pray for me, for us - as parents.  Thanks.




2 comments:

  1. I know these feelings all to well. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thik God meant for us to be parents at the "young" part of our life because he knew how arrogent we could be come! =) I had to go back and read your first story, I did laugh because, well, I've been there. I like that "What will my response be?" I need that often. Hope your day goes well~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...