Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

~Pear this one up...

I enjoy pears.  Not that I have to have them "put up" with the rest of canning, per say...
But a good pear dessert paired up with some Ice Cream, now that's good eating.



It was Sunday evening. And for Sunday suppers we usually don't do much -it's usually on the lighter side of things...like popcorn, ice cream, etc.
My brother had stopped by for the late afternoon and into the evening, so we asked him to stay.  I had pears that "NEEDED" to be used, but I had no white sugar left in the house.  I wanted to make something that would go as a dessert type thing... and so thus began the concoction.

He said he enjoyed.  Here is what I came up with.


 Basically, it's a type of Pear Crumble (I guess).  I saw the gist of this recipe in several of my cookbooks where you take a dry cake mix (white or yellow) and you sprinkle that over a can of cherry pie filling. After which you drizzle a 1/2 cup of melted butter over the crumbs, and bake at 350* for 40 minutes or so.

So, since I had all of these pears to use up and I confess, if my sister is reading this; "Rachel, I feel bad. I lost about half the box due to my own negligence - and no granulated sugar".  I was trying to think of a way to incorporate what I did have.  I am amazed that when you HAVE to get creative... it happens.

I took about 8 cups of chunked fresh pears.  Put them into a 9"x13" pan.  Drizzled a bit of lemon juice, sprinkled (to taste) some ground ginger (ginger always goes well with pear) and spread a small handfull of brown sugar (that I had!), to which I finalized it with the above yellow cake mix and butter.  Oh yea, I added a few chopped walnuts for some extra crunch.  And I think, if there is a next time, I would add more nuts or try pecans.

: : "Pear" this one up, served warm, with Blueberries and Cream (or Vanilla) Ice Cream!!  Yumm, YUMMM!!

2 comments:

  1. Your fortitude is astounding.
    Job well done!
    And it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Bev. I just had to tell you that you remind me so much of me in your ability to improvise with recipes and even invent dishes according to what you have around. It is a wonderful skill to have and you are surely putting it to good use in your family. Blessings to you.
    ps, I hope your new shop is going well.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...