Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Crockpot Pork and Cabbage Dinner

Sometimes Sunday noon meals are the hardest for me to "put together".  Unless, I am really on ball the day before or it's leftovers (which is the easiest to do - but, oh how it goes against my grain especially for Sunday Dinner) - I really find it hard to acutally get something together.

I just remember my mom putting together such great Sunday dinners that before you even could get close to the front door, you'd smell it!  It made everyone want to pitch in and help finish setting the table (because sometimes that was started before we left for church, too), or whatever... and we would all sit down to a feast.  Sometimes, that actually included last minute company joining us. 

I've said this before... But, I want to do this Sunday Dinner meal planning and preparing - just a bit better.  I'm working on it!  That's why I dug out my crockpot for this past Sunday.  AND, oh how we smelled it walking into the house.   It always smelled SO good...

I think this recipe is a new FALL favorite Sunday Dinner dish, for us!!  Definitely a keeper.  What are some of your family favorites for Sunday Dinner?  Do you always use your crockpot for meals like this or do you like to use your timed oven feature? 

~Pork and Cabbage Dinner~




2 lbs. pork chops, steaks or shoulder
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/2 cup beef broth

2 cooking apples, cored and sliced 1/4" thick

Place pork into slow-cooker.  Layer onions, parsley, and cabbage over pork.  Combine salt, pepper, caraway seeds, and allspice.   Sprinkle over cabbage.  Pour broth over all.  Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Add apple slices 30 minutes before serving.  Makes: 8 servings.

: : As a side dish, I served up brown-buttered potatoes and bread (I wish, homemade) was spread with butter and apple butter.  So FALL-ish, SO good!!

1 comment:

  1. Horray for crock pots! They make the house smell so good, even if the meal turns out over cooked or even burnt.
    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...