Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Weekend happenings...parenting seminar.


Over the weekend, Scott and I had the privilege to attend a Parenting Seminar, given through our church, led by one of our pastors.  It was neat how they had broken it up into these age categories (0-5yrs, 6-10yrs, etc.), and you were welcome to attend one or all of the sessions.  We opted to stay for all sessions offered (hey, if there was free babysitting offered, why not?).  No, in all honesty.  We felt that if there was such an opportunity offered, then let's get all the information that we can, when we can, because the Lord knows we need it.  Daily.

I'll admit, there were moments, I felt in my heart, a load of condemnation - thinking, I fail so often in my method(s) or in  my role as a Mother, in how I go about training my children.  And, then God's grace also shone through - time and time again -with encouragement as to how many times I am/we are on the right path in these areas.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 reminds us " Hear, O Israel: The Lord, our God, the Lord is one.  You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise...you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

I appreciated the reminder that, as a church, we're doing this in community.  We are not out there in this parenting realm... alone. 

There is so much more I could share with you that I was so encouraged by.  One of the rescources used and referenced to, over and over was the book Shepherding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp.  If you have never read, heard of, or even seen this book... please! please, check it out.  It honestly is the best (most grace filled) book on parenting, out there.


If I were to come up with a verse that captured all that I took away from this seminar.  It would be Psalm 103:1-5:   "Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-who forgives all your sins, and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."


: :  For me, as a mom and in parenting, there are all of these to consider.  Praise, benefits, renewed strength, "the pits", love, compassion, forgiveness, "diseases", desires, satisfaction, and at most redemption. I just need to remember to praise him with all that I am...no matter what, knowing that I need God's Word, as I parent, every single moment of every single day. This would be one of those key verses I hope to mediate on throughout this week... and beyond.

"Forgetting the benefits of God, strangles the voice of Praise."  Dave Harvey

If you want to read one blogger's perspective (quite comical) on what the easiest years in parenting are to be, read this.

4 comments:

  1. I see we both are learning a lot about serving God and our families through Psalm 103:1-5! So glad to hear you came away refreshed and renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I popped in and enjoyed the read. Parenting is difficult at best but when you throw God in the mix who can fail. So glad you were renewed.

    Ya'll have the best wonderfully blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to commend you and Scott for taking parenting so seriously. You can't learn enough, when it comes to those two precious children!
    You will be blessed.
    Proverbs 22:6
    "Train a child in the way he should go,
    and when he is old he will not turn from it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered your blog from Jenn at "A Country Girl's Ramblings"...nice to "meet" you! I couldn't agree with you more on the grace-filled part of your comment about the book "Shepherding a Child's Heart"...I LOVE it! AND the one for the teen years by his brother is VERY amazingly good too..."Age of Opportunity"...but I see you are not quite there yet! Before you know it you will be...enjoy the "littles" stage...so precious! Actually, each stage is precious...enjoy it ALL! :)

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...