Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Do you eat Pork and Saurkraut, on New Year's Day?

My blogging friend, Christine, mentioned about New Year Traditions in a recent post of hers and it got me thinking about something... I've been meaning to share.  So, even though I didn't leave a comment that day, Christine, this post is for you!!  ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

                                                       
First off I should say - it was ALWAYS our family tradition to eat Pork and Saurkraut on New Year's Day.  Who knows, why?  We just did.  Yumm!!

Kind of like we always have turkey on Thanksgiving...

Then, I heard or read this somewhere and I have decided to adopt this theory for my own....reason being, more or less, for a conversation starter.  Here it is...

We know that Poultry (turkey & chicken) need to scratch back(wards) to get their food, from the earth.  And we know that Pigs will always use their snout, pushing forward, in effort to get to their food. 

Likewise, we, at Thanksgiving - we'll sit back and reflect on our year - giving thanks for bounty, provision and blessing that we have recieved.  And so, for the New Year, we'll look forward... wondering, anticipating, making resolution for a new and fresh start, all for the approaching year ahead.

: : I'm not sure where the saurkraut came in, for this one, but who cares, that's what makes it "good eats"...

How about you? Do you eat Pork and Saurkraut for New Year's Day

I'll be honest, I went to the pantry thinking I had a can of saurkraut and lo, and behold! there was none to be had.  Now, I'm not so sure that this New Year will be....?... ((uhmmm)).

 Happy New Year Everyone!!! 
and have a wonderful weekend. 

And please, take the time, sometime this weekend, to reflect on Jeremiah 29:11.   It's just such a great promise from God to hold on to - at any time - but especially at the start of a new beginning.


7 comments:

  1. We do! I think it is a Menno thing and the rest of the world has never heard of such a thing. I purchased my crout a few weeks ago and have a pork loin thawing in my frige. Happy new year!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pork and "crout" sounds like a great tradition.
    Enjoyed the history of the foods.

    Thank you for the inspriational verse.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's more of a Northern tradition, and not just Mennonite. Another Northern New Year's tradition is corned beef and cabbage, according to my husband, who is originally from New Jersey.

    Here in the South, collard greens, black-eyed peas, corn bread and a bunch of other foods are the New Year's tradition. I think they all have something to do with being properous. You should see all the little ladies waiting in line to get their bunches of collards! I heard one say to the other st the store yesterday, "You only need two bunches? You must have a small family!" Keeping in mind that collards come in HUGE bunches... but I think they must cook down pretty much like other greens.

    I don't recall my family having a New Year's tradition, but Andy's mom always makes lasagna for New Year's. So I do, too. It's easy, delicious and I don't have to wait in line to get my box of noodles- one of the benefits of having a tradition that's different from the rest of the locals. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not Mennonite, just plain old Pennsylvania Dutch (German Reformed) and the pork and kraut is cooking as I'm typing this! I have a loaf of homemade pumpernickel bread in the freezer and we'll slather that with Bauman's Apple Butter. Yum!!!!!

    Have a Blessed New Year, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwhhhh!! I am laughing so hard as I read all of these GREAT comments... I love it all! There is one common theme (though not specifically mentioned) with all of these comments, in that "family heritage" is involved. What a great "thing" to surround ourselves with in the coming year. Our loved ones and their memories/or of making new ones.

    Thanks for sharing everyone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even tasted pork and sauerkraut, but I know from FB (where I get all of my valuable information!) that lots of people are cooking it today. :)

    I don't think we had a New Year's Day traditional meal when I was growing up. We probably either polished off all of the leftover Christmas cookies and baked goods OR we stuck with our New Year's resolutions and dieted all day!

    Wishing you and your family a blessed 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bevy, My name is Christine and I work with Rachel at Quest Diagnostics. This is a wonderful thing that you do. I do hope that I am the lucky one to win your beautiful bag. I am sure if I don't the lucky person will appreciate it as much as I would.
    Thank You and God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...