Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Now, about those cookies...

Well.  You were probably wondering if I was waiting for them all to cool down - before posting.  Just about it.  Sorry, this took so long.  LIFE - it sure does have a way of keeping me really busy. 

So, here's proof that (two of my) sister's, my Mom and aprons really were involved.




We really did have a wonderful day.  The kitchen smelled divine - all day long.  The little ones were having fun, especially Caleb, as he got to help a little bit.  We got him involved later with the Thumbprint cookies.  That way he could use his little big thumb.  And, what was so funny to us, was by his own initiation, he would say "Mush. Mush. Mush"... with every mush he made.  I do not know where he got them from, other then if we played playdough- I just don't ever remember hearing him say that before as a word association.  Good for him, for making me laugh.


Grandma and Caleb talking together over making
Sugar Cut-Out Cookies.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Here are the Berry Thumbprint Cookies, I told you that I would include the recipe for:



~Berry-Sage Thumbprints~
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp. dried sage, crushed
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup blackberry preserves (I didn't have blackberry so I used Black Current Preserves instead. Yumm!)

Preheat oven to 350*.  In a medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sage and baking powder.  Set aside.
 In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar and beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Beat in egg yolks, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined.  Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer.  Stir in remaining flour mixture. 

Shape dough into 3/4" balls.  Place 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Lightly press the tip of your thumb into the center of each ball (unless, your Caleb and you want to "mush" it instead).  Fill the center with about 1/4 tsp. of preserves.  Bake about 10 minutes or until the bottoms are browned lightly.  Cool on cookie sheets for about 1 minute.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.  Makes about 60 cookies.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


~Pecan Tasties~

My Grammy made these Pecan Tasties every year.  Even though we pronounced it as Pecan Tassies.   And when I asked one of my sister's (one who couldn't be with us on Monday) what kind she would like to see on Christmas, she mentioned these.  Happy to oblige.
As we were making them... we realized we had too much filling, and not enough little crusts - so we opted to make another round of dough for the rest of it.  Interestingly enough we acutally "burnt" the first round of cookies, so it was a good thing we ended up making a second "go around".  Well.  Then, we ended up with 4 extra little crusts and not enough filling.  Of course...go figure.  It was time for a savory snack anyhow!!!  So...

I decided to create my own version of a mini "cheese quiche" using the leftover crusts... and wow!  they were so good.   I ended up recreating them for a Christmas Party Scott and I went to last evening.  They were gone in no time, but I forgot to take pictures anyway.   I just filled the crust with a few pieces of hot pepper jack cheese, and made a mixture of egg, cream, salt & pepper, and some spinach herb seasonings.... so dainty, so good. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Then we made these old standby cookies.  Peanut Blossoms.
It's tough finding which recipe is soft, chewy, not too crisp or too crumbly...
My sister Martha did a fabulous job on these babies.

~Peanut Blossoms~



And, saving one of my all time favorite cookies to mention last.   Any cookie tray, in my opinion is not complete without a few of these scattered around.  The bright white of the cookies brightens up any tray and makes it all look even more inviting.  Like we need anymore of that, right?


~Russian Teacakes or Snowballs~




I am sorry that we didn't get the Chocolate Buttersweets made (I had promised a recipe on this one - I might get to it yet), and I honestly think some were made that I didn't think would or that I got pictures of ... like the Outrageous Chocolate ChipShortbread cookies (rolled in balls and dipped in red & green sugar), White Chocolate Craisen & Macadamia Nut cookies ...and spiced pecans.

We were really cookied out - till it was all said and done... but what a fun day!!  Now, the hard part is to stop to "tasting" them, just to make sure that they are all still okay.  You know?  I'm just saying...

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll be right over! :) Seriously, the cookies are gorgeous, and I love the picture of all of you ladies in your aprons. My grandmother always made the pecan cookies, too, although we called them Pecan Tassies. Russian Teacakes were another family favorite. I love your big table; what a great workspace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day and fabulous pictures! My mother-in-law always made the pecan ones, too, but insisted they be called "little shoo-flys". They were soooo good! I made a different version of chocolate chip the other day. I used the big chocolate chunks and dried cherries~~otherwise I just followed the normal Toll House recipe. Yummy! I think you'd better keep "tasting" yours, just to make sure they're okay~~enjoy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Oh the joys of a big loving family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun day of baking...
    thanks for your encouraging words today.

    congrats on your etsy sales!

    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is a lot cookie making! Sounds like you had a great day with your sisters and mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...