Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday's Finds: {no. 3/10}

  

As I got to thinking about what to share for today's Friday's Finds... I remembered this - what I think is a handmade tablecloth - that I found (going through some linens), back when we moved.

What strikes me as AMAZING! is the hand stiched hem all around the cloth.



(Ahh, don't look too closely at my fingers - looks like they need some TLC, too)
But look, carefully, at the tiny, tiny even stitches.  It is so impressive.

And, the stamped signature?  I don't know... I wish I could ask my grandparents about it, but they are both deceased now.  This linen came from some things that I got at my Grammy's "sale"... a couple of months before she passed away.  I want to guess that Katie G. is or was a cousin to either my grandfather or grandmother.



This is just such a treasure to me.  More than that, it's an inspiration. 
I like to imagine that because life was simply lived at a much 'slower pace' back then, it seems only natural that they would take the time to make each stitch count.  Nice & tiny, painstakenly patient, evenly detailed stitches, all the way around.
You almost have to look several times to really be sure that they are done with a needle and thread, and not by machine.  It says a lot about a person (doesn't it?)... by the pride they take in their work.

"I don't know you, Katie - but thank you for such a beautiful piece of artwork...you left behind."
Makes we wonder about the stories woven in and around this linen tablecloth...



To say, "A stitch in time, saves nine" couldn't be more truer.  Yet,  this thought comes to mind, as well,  as I write, "A day hemmed in prayer seldom unravels".  This quote can be found everywhere, nowdays, but it came off of a magnet that my Grammy once gave me, back when I was in my first apartment...kind of an ironic fitting to end this post on that note.

Take the time to have a wonderful prayer-filled weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The patience that someone had to have to do all that by hand amazes me.

    Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure you have. Just think of all the conversations that were shared around that tablecloth.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...