Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

HOWDY!

Hello! to one and all......if there was anything you wanted to get done in 2009.....well, you're too late now. With that being said HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  Welcome to another year's worth of Scott's Second Sayings - coming to you by Blamo! (no, coming to you on the 2nd of every month - the Blamo thing is just something I always say, ask Bevy). As I write our daughter (Aubrey) is literally climbing up onto the table. She is our adventurious one (in case Bevy never told ya). Ahhh!!

I hope this post finds everyone in good spirits and hope all had a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS. May this season strengthen your hope and faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Chirst. We had a very nice Christmas here, and of course since this is my blog posting, your going to hear (well read) about some of it.

Bevy and I are trying to pick back up on a tradition from several years ago. My brother-in-law, John, (yes, the one that is my fellow redneck in arms), and his family host Thanksgiving every year. Bev and I used to host Christmas, but have not been able to, the last three years. This was due to space restriction at our last home and one Christmas we didn't even have a home over the holidays (we were the privilged guests of being able to stay at a couple's house from church while we were in between places.  Thanks again, Dale & Susie!). So, this was the first year we were able to host Christmas, again in our home, and what a day it was.

As many of you know my mom has moved to PA. Well, she is getting settled in and so this was the first Christmas for her, with her two grandchildren as well. The day was really nice, and had a lot of memories made. We saw 1:20AM Chirstmas morning and 1:35AM the morning after - Christmas. So needless to say all day the 26th we just pretty much "vegged". It was nice to host a holiday again in our home.

One of my "very interesting" gifts was from John. We draw names (due to the family being so BIG) back on Thanksgiving at his place. Well it happened to be, that this year, John drew my name. John and I have a very similiar view on multiple items in life, and I think this is one reason why we get along so well with one another.

We have been hunting together for several years now, and I have always borrowed his 336 Marlin 30x30 w/ a 3.5-10x40 optic (but we won't get specific). We will not get into what happened to "my own" hunting gun, other than a very immature decision  was made when I was younger. In the last two years, I have been able to get a deer each season with John's gun. OH YES!!! did Bevy tell you I did end up getting a deer this year????

Well for Christmas, John gave me the rifle I have been borrowing for the past several years. A week later, I  still cannot get over the fact that it sits in my house as in - it is in my possesion. What can I say other than THANK YOU again, John?



The DEER: Well if you read Scott's December Second Sayings you would know that I hit three and could not put one on the ground opening day (Buck Monday).

The following Saturday John, his wife Rachel, Bevy and I along with some other family members and friends (a total of about 15 people) rented a 65ft x 20ft wide vessel to go fishing on (FUN TIMES THERE TOO!!!).

So I did not get to hunt again until closing day. Closing Day morning was COLD and windy and that can be quite difficult in a tree stand. (I get a whole new appreciation for the lullaby, "Rock a-bye Baby", in those situations). After a day of hunting and seeing a lot of deer but nothing I could "reach out and touch" (shoot at), we started to wrap it up. It was about 40 minutes to the end of season, when a pack of doe and several fawn started to walk thru my area. One of the doe took a turn down a logging trail and stopped within clean sight for me to get her in my cross-hairs. Two shots later, I had "my deer". John gave me a hard time about her size, to which I responded "She looked bigger in the scope", that shut him up.......
Why two shots, you may ask? The first was high and to the rear. It put her on the ground, but she was still alive and could move. So when I finally got out of my tree stand and started to track her (though not far), the second shot was simply to put her out of her misery.

So I have definitly been blessed this season, and as we look into the new year, things are already starting to get set in motion. John and I will be taking a trip to VA later this month for my mom's belonging's that are still in storage. Our wives are going to spend the weekend together too, but I don't think they have totally decided as to what they are going to do, so stay tuned, I am sure Bevy will be blogging about it as it comes to pass.

At the end of the month I have another computer exam to take and looking ahead into this year, it appears as though I will be taking a total of 6 exams (Pray for Bevy!).  In February we have Valentine's and butchering season. Yes, we slaughter & butcher our own meats, and we are looking for another freezer at the same time. We will have venison, ten chickens (more like small turkeys they got so big this year), we will add one hog, half a steer, and what ever else we come across.  I honestly LOVE "bringing home the bacon"...for my wife and family.  "My LOVE, my love... are you ready for my LOVE, my love?"

Oh!  the kids have been at just about full tilt the whole time I have been writing. So I will sign off and go help Bevy. Until next month ~ everyone!  Have a safe & Happy New Year and God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to all of you, too! Congratulations on the deer! Isn't it so satifsying to go into the freezer and pull out meat that you provided? I hope all goes well with your exams.
    Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...