Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Doughnut Day Recipes!

Hey, you almost didn't get these recipes even today.  Little Miss Aubrey - wanna-be-secretary - finds herself too busy and very intrigued by the computer and pretty much demolished our laptop keyboard last evening.  Unknowingly to me, because you see, I can't be everywhere present, at all times.  I am so glad that Scott found ALL the missing pieces/keys.  And painstakenly put it all back together - though he was begging to go to bed the minute he walked in the front door - home from work.  (BTW: He's got the bug, now).  I was sorry that he had to come home to this... and my negligence. 

I told him this is how simple my mind is in regards to computers.  The fact that he could put the keys back into the keyboard correctly, and without breaking anything further proves to me - right here and now - that he is ONE COMPUTER GENIUS!!  I love my man.  Thanks, honey!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

So, here are those doughnut recipes I was teasing you all with.  Oh~ and when I asked Scott if he took notice of all your sweet comments yesterday he says, yeah! either we're getting alot of company or we're going to be doing alot of travelling in the near future.  Where to, I wonder - TN? MI? VA? MO?  - I don't know - just guessing...just teasing.  Don't get your hopes up now, either.


~Easy Light Wheat Applesauce Doughnuts~

3 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup granulated sugar

Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl and blend well.  Combine remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir just till well moistened.  Chill dough.  On a well-floured surface, toss dough lightly until no longer sticky.   Roll dough to 3/8" thickness.  Cut with floured doughnut cutter.  Deep-fry in hot fat (375*, I use electric skillet) about 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Cool slightly.  Dust with powdered sugar.  ( I did glaze some of mine, which were delicious as well).

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


~Fluffy Raised Doughnuts~

2 cups lukewarm water
1 T. yeast
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 tsp. salt
Approximately 6 cups flour

Soften yeast in water.  Add next four ingredients, then 2 cups of flour. Let rise 30 minutes, add rest of flour, just enough to work well with your hands.  Knead till smooth.  Let rise until double.  Lay out, do not punch down or use rolling pin, just pat it out and cut with doughnut cutter.  Let rise again. 
Fry in hot fat, deep enough so doughnuts float.  I used the electric skillet with the temperture at 375*. 
This recipe can also be used for sticky buns, the cookbook said.   So, I decided I would give it a whirl.  I made one small batch of cinnamon rolls. using up the scraps of dough left from cutting out the doughnuts.


You re-roll the dough.  Spread melted butter over the dough.  Sprinkle brown sugar - generously.  Then sprinkle cinnamon over that. Roll length side (I'm rolling rather uncomfortably here, because my long side was not in front of me).
Then you slice the rolled up dough into equal pieces.  Place rolled side down on to generously buttered baking pan.  Let rise until almost doubled.   And bake at 350* for 20 minutes or so until done.

Then....


...here comes the good stuff.


Hide those buns under some good ole D*E*L*I*C*O*U*S caramel icing.  Yum!

~Caramel Icing~1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T. milk or cream
4 T. butter
Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla (opt.)
 Mix and let come to a boil.  Cool and then add Powdered Sugar to right consistency.  Add vanilla.

Here is the glaze recipe for the other doughnuts.

2 egg whites
2 lbs. powdered sugar (almost 7 cups)
3/4 cup hot water
 Mix all together.  It gets kind of frothy.  Dip doughnuts.


** Now.  Do you understand why I love my man for fixing our broken keyboard?  Write a comment thanking Scott for his labor of love - once again.  And, now you know why I doubt our daughter will be having any more doughtnuts for awhile?  She's bad - but, oh so sweet!, all at the same time.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Scott~~I wouldn't know how to put the keyboard letters in the right places, either!! Bevy, your cinnamon buns look wonderful~~Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your baking abilities,
    And the pictures are amazing, also.

    Aubrey gave me an idea for April Fools Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...