Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Faschnut Day!!

Or, I like to call it "Doughnut Day" - except that I discovered that there already is a nationally known day devoted to doughnuts - the first friday, of the month of June.  Oh well....

Why Faschnut Day?  I'm not sure (I couldn't find much on this in looking it up online), so correct me if you do know that I am wrong on this.  But I think it has something to do with what folks know today as "Fat Tuesday", "Shrove Tuesday" or in some places "Mardi Gras" (which I don't nessecarily condone or celebrate).  Depending on where your from, it all has to do with Lent or Ash Wednesday (which is today).  And, from what I understand.  The PA Dutch folks used this day to rid of all their excess yeast before Lent season, therefore making faschnuts (or square doughnuts.) 

Square Doughnuts? -these are doughnuts with no holes cut out of the center.  No wasting, I suppose.    I don't know, I could totally be making this up.  I just know that I was in the mood for a doughnut or two. And I felt totally inspired - It was snowing again today.  With having no vehicle today for me to go anywhere, today, (all week, I might add) - donut day it was, and so I chose to make two different kinds. 

One, Fluffy Raised Doughnuts and the other, Easy Light Wheat Applesauce Doughnuts.  I know I promised the recipe to a couple of my friends today - but you're going to have to wait until my next post or whenever I get around to it.  Sorry!


There were no square donuts involved here.  I used my Grammy's spider skillet, which I don't use very often.  It worked pretty good.  It got the job done, I would say.  And we DID NOT use lard to fry them in.  Any questions?




One trick.  Something I do remember my mom doing when she would make glazed doughnuts is to take dowel rods and use them over a bowl to catch the glaze drippings.  These dowel's came from those cloth calenders, you know?  And, I've kept several in my kitchen drawer FOREVER - wanting to use them for this reason.  Caleb keeps on finding them and using them for "drum sticks". ;)



I was surprised at how well this worked for us.  We let the doughnuts cool a bit on paper towels and then while still warm, threw them into the glaze, gave them a good coat and hung them up to drip-dry before putting them out onto the cooling racks.



These are the Wheat Applesauce Doughnuts which are definitly a cake-like doughnut.  So most of these we sprinkled powdered sugar, and a few got glazed as well.  So good!!  Can't wait to share this recipe with you all.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


I also had a few taste testers!



Yes!  you see my brother Justin holding Aubrey.  I called over to my mom's before I started this project to find out if she would be available to answers any questions I might have along the way.  Justin answered the phone.  No! mom was at work, but he offered to come over and help with the kids....uhhh, I think it was to taste test, too.  I let him.  He was a HUGE help.  And I greatly appreciated his offer.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

One thing that today is, is National Day of Random Acts of Kindness Day!!  So, having that in mind.  I wrapped up a few to hand out to our neighbors and some for our landlord and his wife.  I know they enjoyed because earlier this evening our phone began  to ring with guesses of "were you the ones who gave us doughnuts?".  So, I'm glad... I could bless someone a day early.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And, now we're all fat and happy around here.  The recipes will be coming later... hang in there.  I promise.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I was one of your neighbors - I want a doughnut!!! YUM....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I live so far away! I would have loved one of your doughnuts(or two), a cup of coffee and a long chat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dowel rods, how very clever! Now, what time did ya want me to come over??? I'll bring milk, hot chocolate...whatever!!! Heeehehe! Your donuts suddenly gave me a cravin' but my cholesterol would frown.

    I just wanted to thank you for your sweet comments and hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya'll enjoy the ride.

    God bless, eat a donut for me and have a fantastic day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I threw most of them into the freezer for moments like these (visits!). Let me know when you all wanna come on over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea!, for Donut Day!
    Yea!, for brothers who help!
    Yea!, for sharing!
    Happy Faschnut Day and Random Acts of Kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, those look amazingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!! They look incredible!! I'm glad to see the babes are looking much better, too~~Mom's love and Fastnachts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW ~ I'm so impressed! I have fond memories of Fausnacht Day, and the goodies made by my neighbor, none other than Helen Fausnacht. Hmmmm, I have to ask my Mom about that coincidence.

    Anyway, so my daughter is living in Germany right now. So I asked her about Fausnachts. Guess what they call them over there....Berliners. Go figure. She said there were all kinds with all color of different icings, jelly filled, and some with designs on them like clowns, and stuff. She showed me some of hers she got thru SKYPE. Yummy!

    So sweet of you to share with your neighbors.

    Enjoyed your blog....your children are beautiful!

    Blessings,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...