Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday's Finds: {no. 11/10}

Saints.

Who are the saints?

And, I don't mean the guys who won the Superbowl, last football season.


What is a saint?
I asked a friend, this week, if she has a hard time seeing herself as a saint?  Her response was similiar to my idea or (orginal) answer.  Here is what she said.   "...I don't see myself as a saint. Just a sinner who desires to fall more in love with her Lord each and every day. I always picture someone who is a saint as a person who devotes their whole life to Christ. I definitely don't feel I am there...yet! But, I'm learning and growing and I guess that is important, too!"  I would say the same thing, and...

I would have added in my orginal thought/answer that, a saint is someone who "over time" has earned that title through seasons of trial or hardship.  They have endured in their faith.  They have "wisdom" under their belt.  They are seasoned.

Uhmmm.  Not necessarily so.  We can't earn favor with God.  I know that.  But as you can tell... I sorta believed that.  Here are just a couple of verses that use the word saint to describe believers in Christ Jesus.

"To the saints in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus".  - Ephesians 1:2

"To all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons." - Philippians 1:1b

"As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight." -Psalm 16:3
"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints". - Psalm 116:15
You say, what an interesting thing for a Friday's Finds?  Yup.  It is.  I've been thinking about this all week, wondering how I could tie this all in.  And I've decided it was one of those heart discoveries that needed to be revealed.  Well,  let me say it this way.  I didn't realize it needed to be discovered until it came to light in last Sunday's message at our church.  It was conivicting, to say the least, as I sat there - realizing my idea of what a saint looks like (my above discription) and what it truely means to be a saint, didn't coincide.

Our pastor had us do an exercise of looking to our left, and looking to our right.  Seeing all of those gathered around us.  "Those are the Saints!!", he said.  Then he continued,  "Now.  If you were to take a pocket mirror and hold it up in front of your face...you will see a saint."  I squirmed.
I really have a hard time believing that I am a saint (based on my definition).  But, get this.

He continued, "No matter how old you are in age, nor how young you are in age.  No matter if you're the newest born-again believer on the earth or the oldest.  We are all saints. Because we've come to saving faith in Jesus Christ."

I found this definition in the back of my Bible that reiterats this thought. Saints:  Those dedicated to God and set apart for his service.  All who believe in Jesus, regardless of their character or spiritual maturity.

I tell you.  I felt free, knowing I will never "measure up by my own standards".  No guilty feelings allowed. It's nothing I can do now or deeds done in the past to declare me a saint. It's all by his grace. 

Grace Alone. 

We are his redeemed people. His chosen.  His Beloved. His Children.

 Saints.  

It still feels weird to say. There are many, many days when I don't feel very saintly.
Yet, if that's how God see me? ... then I can say it with confidence, "I'm a saint."


Now, how is that for a Friday's Finds?  Interesting, eh?   And, I bet you're all gonna be walking around, today, humming the tune;  "Oh when the saints, go marching in...".  Won't you?   Come on.  Join me.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

5 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord!

    and... missed you yesterday when you didn't post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Friday find. From one saint to another...have a glorious day in the Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks Bevy, you definitely taught me something today! GREAT POST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious find - a Biblical truth. Thank you for sharing. Even though I love antiques and thrift sale bargains, this was definately a better find for this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bevy,
    As I read your first definition of a saint, I was agreeing with you but then you wrote the second one, from your bible.
    Yes! I turned around and now believe that I'm a saint. Never would of thought that a few minutes ago!
    Keep thinking those deep thoughts. Good comes from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...