Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, March 8, 2010

"Just Because"

...is what I called my Saturday Morning Ladies Breakfast. 

We had a wonderful time.  Me especially...just because...this is what I love to do.  I've been wanting to "do this sort of thing" more often.  Having others in my home (Our home, now that I'm married) has always been a natural bent in my life.  I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging... I really don't.  I just enjoy "serving" others - behind the scenes, if you will.  And if it means from out of my kichen then so be it.

I mentioned being nervous, in my Friday post.  I was a bit.  And I thank you all, for your vote of confidence.  I've just been feeling so out of practice, here of late.  Getting married (going on 5 yrs. now) and having two little ones... sure changes the "opportunity" factor around a bit.  Not that Scott and I (and kiddo's) haven't entertained in "our home", since.  Moving several times in those 5 yrs. can also make a difference.  We do entertain, mostly immediate family, and we love doing it. 



But this event was special for me.  It ended up to be about 10 ladies, 11 with myself (obviously not all pictured), mostly ladies from our caregroup at church.  And, this is just something that we needed to do.... I only hope to host this type of thing more often.  I mentioned the other day, maybe even monthly.

I served: Egg Souffle * 2 different types of Quiche (Spinach and Mushroom, Bacon and Mushroom) * Fresh Fruit and Fruit Dip (I combined softened cream cheese and Marshmallow Fluff) *
Cinnamon Rolls * Homemade Doughnuts* Juice * Coffee




My one friend (and I told her not to bring anything) brought along a Cherry Breakfast Cake.  It was very, very good!!  Thank you, Tina.



I tried to keep it as simple, as I could.  I really, honestly didn't feel stressed. Your prayers?!?  I know it helped to have Susie, my mother-in-law, come by on Friday while I stepped out to get a few things from the grocery store, and then she stayed a while longer after I got back so that I could get this breakfast casserole together.  (front left, in 9x13 pan)  I apologize that I didn't get pictures taken until everything was already
 "being enjoyed".  ;)

Here is the recipe for this Breakfast Casserole/ Egg Souffle.

~Egg Souffle~
1lb. sausage, browned and drained
12 slices bread, cubed or torn up
3 cups grated cheese ( I used a combination of White Chedder and shredded Yellow American)
 Combine or layer (starting with the bread) in greased 9x13 baking dish.

8 eggs beaten
1-2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dry mustard
 3 cups milk
Combine and pour over sausage/bread mixture.

1-2 cups crushed cornflakes
3-4 tbsp. butter, melted
Sprinkle of "secret" spice.
Pour over top.  Refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.  Or, I baked it at 300* for an hour and (approx.) 15minutes.


I have one secret ingredient.  I usually like to sprinkle a little paprika on top for some added flavor/color.

Well.  ONE TIME (here is the true secret)...  I was making this Egg Souffle...just because... to take into work that particular morning.  From time to time, I liked to surprise my fellow co-workers with Bevy's cooking... and this was one of those times.  I had to get up extra early, throw this in the oven to bake while I was getting ready for work.  I don't think I was too awake that morning... because, like I said, I always sprinkled some paprika on top, so I grabbed the spice container and went to town - shaking it on.  Only to get a strong whiff of cinnamon instead.  UHHHH!! Too late. I had grabbed the wrong container.  I decided to take it into work like that, anyway... and wouldn't you know?!?!?  It was the HUGEST HIT.  Now, I make it this way all of the time.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a fun time for just being together... as friends, and as sister's in the Lord.   I am especially grateful to my sister, Rachel, and brother-in-law, John, who were so willing to host my hubby and two little ones, at last minute notice, for breakfast, around their own table...amidst their hectic schedules...just because.
Caleb and Aubrey thoroughly enjoyed their morning playing, with the cousins, as well.  It gave them opportunity to get out of the house, too.  What a wonderful weekend....


6 comments:

  1. So glad everything went well. The food looks delicious!
    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous :)!!!! Glad you had such a wonderful time! Isn't it amazing how God blesses us with certain gifts, then we actually ENJOY using them? He is kind enough to have us serve Him in joy - not as a duty - AND bless others!! Bev - you excel at this gift of hospitality. Glad you could enjoy the fruit of your labors as well as you hosted. May God turn this into a wonderful "habit"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks wonderful! I'm sure the ladies had a great time and were blessed by the good food and fellowship. Well done, Bevy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful time! You are an awesome cook! SOMEDAY we are going to get together and visit over vast amounts of home made goodness and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm....Mmmmmmm...
    It looks soooo good!
    I'm happy that you did this and can say you will host more often. You just need to put one foot in front of the other.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the food looks wonderful. I am sure your guests had a great time.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...