Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Sales, Cornmeal Rolls & Huge prayer request

Three more sales this week... well, one is still pending.  It's so, exciting to say the least.  There is one NEW bag in the shop as of Saturday evening... go check it out, if you haven't already.  Though I will say, I might have a hard time parting with this one.  I really, really love it.  Great colors, great size.
***********

So I made these rolls the other night for dinner.  And to quote my sister "I wasn't so sure what I was getting myself into".  But. These were very, very good!   Very, very moist!  And very, very interesting to make...


I apologize.  This picture looks a little blurry for some strange reason.  Anyhoo. 
 Here is the recipe that my sister, Gladys, sent me - along with a wonderfully handwritten note, last week.  So sweet, she is!!

~Cornmeal Rolls~

1/3 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 cup warm water
4 cups flour

Combine first 5 ingredients and cook over medium heat until thick.  Cool to lukewarm.  Mix yeast and warm water.  Add eggs and mix well.  Combine cornmeal mixture with the yeast mixture.  Beat thoroughly.  Add flour and mix well.  (this was very sticky to me)
Let rise.  Shape into rolls, let rise again.  (uhhh, shaping into rolls was not easy.  I actually dumped the dough out onto a floured surface and worked it in -after the first rise- just so that it wouldn't seem so sticky.  As I tried to shape into rolls,  I decided "this wasn't working", so I just cut the dough, using a butter knife, into 24 pieces.  Using a little bit of flour on my hands to form them just so...to which I put them into a greased,  9"x13" baking stone).  Here is where the recipe says to let rise a second time.

** Clarification/ YEILD: the amount of rolls (24) was what was said on the recipe that my sister gave me.  I think it looks like - according to my picture- that it may only have been 15 rolls to this size baking pan.

Brush rolls with melted butter and sprinkle with Cornmeal.  Bake at 350* for 12 minutes.  I baked them for about 15-20 minutes.  (I added time, due to using stoneware).

: : Delicious, hot right from the oven with a steamy bowl of White Chicken Chili.  YUM!!  What more could you ask for?

***************************

HUGE ~ Prayer Request!!
I've been holding out to share this with you all, just so that I could possibly have a bit more information.  I have a prayer request that just seems so overwhelming.  I am asking you all to pray for a young man by the name of Ben.  He's 18 years old.  We know him because his parents were our former landlords.  Plus, the fact that his family attends our church.  So, this really hits home for us.  We're not sure where Ben is in his relationship with the Lord, but his parents have expressed a peace that God will use this incident in Ben's life - as well as an opportunity, for them, to share the love of Christ with Ben's many friends who are not believers.

Ben was struck by a car late one night a couple of weeks ago.  He and a group of other young people were crossing the street and did not see this fast moving car.  Ben apparently pushed two girls out of the way of the vehicle and took the hit himself.  Which has left him IN VERY CRITICAL condition.  He has been in an induced coma and under the care of several different Dr's. who are currently not in agreement to his care (for all the major injuries Ben has accquired) and since all of the waiting for swelling of the brain to go down (in order to do surgery) - he has contracted pneumonia.  It does sound as though he will have back surgery this coming Thursday.  There has been some movement in his hands... but there is some uncertainty whether or not he'll have some issues with paralysis.

Again, his family is hopeful and they are very aware that this season right now, is the easy part.

Please, join us in praying that even while in this coma induced state - that Ben will still feel the comfort of his Savior's arms and hear the gentle voice, of Jesus, whispering his love to him.  Drawing him even closer to himself.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your sales! I'm so happy for you.
    Those cornmeal rolls look delicious.

    Will be praying for Ben and his family.

    Hope you have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rolls look wonderful! I think I will be making those this week to go with Corn chowder.

    I will pray for Ben and his family...keep us posted on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting us know about Ben.
    And yes, I will be praying for him and his family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...