Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Old-time Strawberry Shortcake


Before strawberries fully skip out the back door and completely out of season.  I wanted to share with you a recipe for an old-time Strawberry Shortcake.  This recipe was found in one of my newer cookbooks, but submitted by an older local Mennonite woman who I happen to know- somewhat.  I love the surprise suggestion she gave at the bottom of the recipe.

~Strawberry Shortcake~
Sift together :  1 1/2 cups of flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Mix in 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup canola oil - using a pastry blender
Combine 3/4 cup milk with one egg
Stir milk and egg into flour mixture - just till blended.
Spread into a greased 8" square pan. Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes.
To serve, cut in half, making two layers.  Fill and top with sweetened berries and fresh whipped cream.

Or.  Serve warm and use Sour Cream!!

So, we made Strawberry Shortcake one evening for dinner. 
I, of course, tried the sour cream version and thought it was so deliciously different. 
I suppose we were too busy enjoying it that I forgot to get a picture of it.

BUT.


The next day I tried it with fresh HUGE blackberries. Look at these babies!!   It was SO good.  And yes, that is sour cream and NOT whipped cream.

* * It looks like I happened to have a food fight with these berries.  They didn't want to cooporate with me, too well, for this photo.  Oh well.  Still, too good to complain.

Just thought I'd share...

2 comments:

  1. MMMMM! SO GOOD! The sour cream is new to me. I still think I would like Whipped cream better, but is does sound interesting.

    I read the two posts I missed this week. Lauren has been really sick and I haven't been able to get on the computer.

    Loved the analogy of the offensive wild morning glories. They can be strangling can't they. And don't feel guilty about gardening when your little ones are sleeping. It is just easier to do when they aren't in the midst of everything. Sometimes we just need to do things ourselves. When they are a bit older then you can put them to work weeding! Won't that be nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you've ever heard of this as a topping for berries... but here is another quick recipe idea, I thought I'd add...

    Use as a dip for 1 pt. strawberries with hulls:
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    Mix well.

    ***
    This cake, with it's heavy brown sugar taste and then in eating it with sour cream reminded me of this recipe, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...