Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, July 26, 2010

My first guest Post, my friend and well... who knew??



I told you I would have a surprise or two, for you this week, while I'm gone. 


I want to introduce to you my first guest post and my friend, Christy, from over at You Can Never Have Too Many.  I've known Christy and her husband Christian for a little while now and I continue to enjoy hearing/reading about them and their beautiful & growing family (four of their own and one adopted son)... when she's not too busy outdoors on their "wanna-be-self-sufficient farmette"... and, I think you'll enjoy reading her blog, too, whenever you get a chance to pop on in.

This gal is amazing.  Please make her feel welcome by checking out her blog when you get a chance and by leaving her a complimentary comment. 

***********************************************************************

Common Plantain
Plantago Major



I am sure that you have seen this little "weed" in your yard or in some yard not chemically treated. This little gem is worth keeping around as it is the prefect remedy for bee stings. God is so amazing in that he has created cures to common ails that are close by and easy to use.

Revelation 22:2 .........."and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations."

Ezekiel 47:12 "And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees........... and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.


Last week the kids caught a bee in their butterfly net and were observing him close up and personal. Asher, however got a little too close and personal in the bee's personal space and got his finger stung. Mad screaming ensued while I instructed Grace to quickly go find some Plantain.

She found a leaf for me right quick which I stuffed in my mouth and crushed to a pulp, green slime oozing out of my mouth. It really doesn't taste bad. Just make sure that no dog has previously tinkled on it.

I applied the green slime to Asher's finger and within a minute all crying had stopped and he was off and playing again. The finger never swelled or even looked like it had been stung. We have done this countless times over the summers since we discovered this and it has always worked. Christian has even used it with yellow jacket stings (those are killers) and it greatly relieved the pain and swelling.



Remember these seed pods from when you were a kid? They are the ones you can wrap the stem around itself and then shoot the head at your friends. :) The seeds from this plant are called psyllium and are used in fiber drinks such as Metamucil.




According to Wikipedia (and my other research):

"This herb is astringent, anti-toxic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine, as well as demulcent, expectorant, styptic and diuretic. Externally, a poultice of the leaves is useful for insect bites, poison-ivy rashes, minor sores, and boils. In folklore it is even claimed to be able to cure snakebite. Internally, it is used for coughs and bronchitis, as a tea, tincture, or syrup. The broad-leaved varieties are sometimes used as a leaf vegetable for salads, et cetera.:"



Never knew that such a common "weed" could be so useful, huh?

~ guest post by Christy L.

 

************************************************

Since reading about this from Christy's original post on her blog...I have told so many other people about this wonderful gift in Plaintain.

Please be sure to check out Christy's other "herbs" posts (found through her label cloud) to see what other sort of information you can glean.  It's truly amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!
    What interesting information.
    I've seen these weeds all my life and I used to do exactly what Christy said with the psyllium. I never knew what it was though. They were just weeds we played with as kids.
    I'll have to remember the plantain as well. I wish I would have known that as a kid. I could have used that on some bee stings when I was growing up.
    I'm going to check out her blog.
    Hope you're having a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! You told me about it and I went out and found some in my driveway! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...