Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Striking Resemblance

. . ....  ... . . ... . .. ... ..  . ... ... .. .. .. ..... . ... . ... ...
On Saturday, we went to a family gathering that has been 66 years going strong.

~66 years~



Most of the photos, the ones you can see (or make out the best), here on my hutch, are family members from my mother's side of the family, which is who and what this reunion was all about. 

** the large photo in the jar, on the far right, is Marion, my Grandmother, at the young age of 18.  Which could easily pass off as my own mother.  They look so much alike.
 The small photo, of the couple, (the jar with the black lid), sitting in front is that of my great-grandparents- Charles and Mary. **
That explains the photos in the jars, a little bit.  I want to go greater in depth to this photo - sometime.

The reunion, though, was actually of my mother's father (my grandfather Ammon and his seven brothers and two sisters) side of the family.
My mom has a cousin who truly is an historian.  Every year he brings the photo albums, the black & white framed pieces of family photos, the genealogy books, and the family tree grows and grows... every year.  Mom's cousin Merle is faithful to document every detail. 

I just totally enjoy - standing over shoulder; thumbing through the photo albums and overhearing my mother, my aunts and their cousins reminiscing and even using the magnifying glass - trying to recall who is who in certain photos - swapping stories and memories.

What's even more fun, is when the second and third generation continue to come to this family reunion.  And, you hear squeals of;  "Come here, look at this!  Doesn't so and so have a strong striking resemblance to Cousin Rosie or Uncle Harry, etc.?"


* * * * * *

It makes me think about my husband and I as the beginning or start of a whole *new* and up and coming generation.

If that doesn't keep life in perspective, what does??

I wonder. 

  • Will there be the same enthusiasm for our "family" generation(s) down the road?

  • What kind of legacy will be left behind? 

  • What will types of memories or stories will be shared, reminisced or pondered (even questioned)? 

  • Will someone be careful to remember in detail ~ our story?

Will the LORD have a striking resemblance in and among "my people"? 
 Or, say it this way...

Will there be a strong family resemblance among the hearts and souls of my children and their children's, children?

* * * * *
"Love the Lord your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength. 

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 
Impress them on your children. 
Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates."

~Deuteronomy 6:4-9

3 comments:

  1. Oh, such great thoughts!
    Deep.
    Meaningful.
    Get's me to really...think...
    Thanks for sharing this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. melissa stutzmanJuly 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

    Thanks so much for sharing. Great questions and thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about family history. Keeping memories alive in displaying photos is a wonderful way. Your views on family are very refreshing. Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...