Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

~Hollyhock Beauty~

I sure do love hollyhocks.  When I see them in passing or say, here at my sister's place...I always feel a bit of nostalgia rising up within me. 
Hollyhocks just define the term, "old-english".  To me - they are so charming, so stately and yet so homey.









Close your eyes and listen to the sounds of nature...
Crickets chirping, doves cooing, cows lowing,
bees buzzing.

It's quite a performance and it's all for free!
(quote taken from a Gooseberry Patch book- Simple Country Pleasures)


***

Aren't my sister's hollyhocks beautiful??  I've always wanted to "explode" my gardens with charming, "old-english" forms of nostaglia.  BUT...

"...such gardens are not made by singing:  'Oh how beautiful! and all while sitting in the shade'."
~ Rudyard Kipling

Gardens truly take hardwork, time and energy.  And although, I do love the way my flowerbeds turned out this year...with surprises here and there by a few "volunteers", I don't have much space left to work with. 

{This photo is a little bit behind.  I have beautiful Zinnia's on the far end...that according to this photo look non-existent.  I also have several bushy green bean plants - growing beautifully in the center...again, according to this photo -look like they are not there.  Trust me... they are.  Can't wait to pick a handful or two.}
    
                           

But, I honestly think I will be finding room for some Hollyhocks next year.  They've got to "fit in" somewhere.  They just have too.

 : :Thank you, Rachel, for allowing me the pleasure to show off your beauties...




6 comments:

  1. Hi B, Your welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hollyhocks are probably my favorite garden flower ever. Just gorgeous. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them too! How about right along your white picket fence? Since they are so tall this would be a great place for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous photos Bevy! I *love* Old English anything...I married into an English family and there is some British on my side of the family as well...I think it runs in the blood. :)

    The photos of your children on your sidebar are adorable...love the vintage look!

    Blessings to you!
    In Him,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous photo's and very english.

    Susann
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...