Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Beautiful Hands

If you've read Grandma's Hands... here is the promised follow-up post.
 . . . . . .

One day as a young cashier at our local Christian Bookstore, several weeks into my job... I was taken aback by my customer standing before me; as she beautifully handled her purse, wallet and counted change like I have never seen before.

You see?  She had the most perfect of hands. 

Well...to look at them initially, you wouldn't think so. 

I don't believe I know her name; I don't even know her story; but I would recognize her by her hands.  They were (obviously from birth) what you would call malformed.

On one hand she had a thumb and a portion of a pinkie.  The other hand had two long fingers and I think a thumb - if I remember correctly. 

When I saw her for the first time... I had to keep my mouth from gaping... she just amazed me with her speed, her agility, her ease, and to top it off SHE WAS A (beautiful) MOTHER - like it was nobodies business- with several young children!!!!!!!!!

((People learn to cope/accept/appreciate/serve with their God-given bodies, in amazing ways.))

But, that day I immediately looked at my two- five fingered, fully functioning hands and thought to myself. 
This is crazy!  I don't need all of these fingers; these two hands... look at her with her "disability" and to her this is her normal. 
I - with my hands - feel clumsy, awkward, unyielding, unfriendly, and some days not-so-willing...  I'm the one with the disability here.
That woman had beautiful hands!! 

****

This reminds me of another story.  (And, I'm completely paraphrasing it...)

I remember reading about a young child who was very embarrassed about his Mother's hands.   His mother was beautiful.  The most beautiful woman he had ever known and yet, her hands didn't match the rest of her beauty.  They were ugly and scarred.   She never talked about it.  She just lived out her life - caring for him and loving him.  Finally, as he could stand it no longer, he dared to approach her with the question of why her hands looked the way he did... admitting to his embarrassment - all along she knew, and the painful memory of that day scarred her heart even more then her hands had been.  It was "no sacrifice".

She told him of the day she rescued him from his burning crib - while he was just an infant. 

She knew she had to do it.  His life was in her hands.  Beauty sacrificed for sacrificial beauty.

The pain, the memory, the loss was nothing compared to the peace and understanding that now flooded that young son's soul as he listened to the detailed whispers of his mother's heart.  She loved him. 

There was nothing in all the world more precious and more dear then for him to know, that...

That woman had beautiful hands!

* * * *

What about you?  What do your hands look like, to others??

Are they scarred, marred, handicap, unwilling, and not so friendly or helpful...?  Or, because of all those sorts of things - they have become beautiful?

You know?  I was thinking of several verses of Scripture that I could add to this post... but I thought I would let that up to you, to share today.  What are a few verses that come to mind - in referance to using our hands?

8 comments:

  1. And there's Someone else Who has beautiful hands because of what He did for us on the cross. The most beautiful, perfect hands because of the most beautiful sacrifice ever.
    I love you, Bevy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Nancy!

    Thank you for bringing this up... that is the absolute truth and underlying theme of this whole post...not just of this post, but in everything we do on a daily basis. It's because of His Beautiful Hands.

    I love especially Psalm 31:14-15 that says;
    But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."
    My times are in your hands...deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful thoughts today Bevy! How about Philipians 2:3-4
    "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bevy! Saw your comment on Amanda's blog about the Artisan Bread. Just wanted to let you know I was that on your Tastebook several months ago and made it. It was super easy and very good. You should give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just one more comment...I PROMISE...that should be "I saw that", instead of "I was that". OOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been embarrassed by my hands because they look like "old lady" hands all my life. I kept telling myself that someday I would grow into to them. Well, I'm almost there.

    I have affinity with hands. Your posts have brought me to tears because of my own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was also recently thinking about my hands. Suddenly, they look old. The skin is wrinklier, saggier and the veins pop out. I reminded myself of all the things these hands have done to earn this look - they are all things I love, caring for a husband, six kids, and all the ministry the Lord has given us. I am thankful for my hands, but I never would have called them beautiful, until today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh the hands...

    I just love these post.
    you have said it so well, their is really not much to say.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...