Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Grandma's Hands

. . . . . . . . . . 

 Just look at the picture (below) for a minute and then read the rest of the story.  It will touch you deeply.



[This was sent to me via a forwarded email]: 

I was privileged to take a photo of "Five Generations of Women" shortly before my 93 year-old Grandmother passed away last year.

The photo shown above, features the hands of my Grandmother, Mom, Sister, Niece & Great-Niece. While I can't take credit for the idea, I was so happy to have had the suggestion & capture this moment. It inspired a friend of mine to do something similar, which turned out so beautiful it became a special keepsake, prior to her father's passing.


Grandma, some ninety plus years, sat feebly on the patio bench. She didn't move, just sat with her head down staring at her hands.
When I sat down beside her she didn't acknowledge my presence & the longer I sat I wondered if she was OK.




Finally, not really wanting to disturb her but wanting to check on her at the same time, I asked her if she was OK. She raised her head & looked at me & smiled. "Yes, I'm fine, thank you for asking," she said in a clear voice strong.






"I didn't mean to disturb you, Grandma, but you were just sitting here staring at your hands & I wanted to make sure you were OK." I explained to her.






"Have you ever looked at your hands," she asked. "I mean really looked at your hands?"






I slowly opened my hands & stared down at them. I turned them over, palms up & then palms down. No, I guess I had never really looked at my hands as I tried to figure out the point she was making.

 
Grandma smiled & related this story:

 
"Stop & think for a moment about the hands you have, how they have served you well throughout your years. These hands, though wrinkled shriveled & weak have been the tools I have used all my life to reach out & grab & embrace life."



"They braced & caught my fall when as a toddler I crashed upon the floor."

 
"They put food in my mouth & clothes on my back. As a child, my mother taught me to fold them in prayer. They tied my shoes & pulled on my boots. They held my husband & wiped my tears when he went off to war."

 
"They have been dirty, scraped & raw, swollen & bent. They were uneasy & clumsy when I tried to hold my newborn son. Decorated with my wedding band they showed the world that I was married & loved someone special."

"They wrote my letters to him & trembled & shook when I buried my parents & spouse."



"They have held my children & grandchildren, consoled neighbors, & shook in fists of anger when I didn't understand."


"They have covered my face, combed my hair, & washed & cleansed the rest of my body. They have been sticky & wet, bent & broken, dried & raw. And to this day when not much of anything else of me works real well these hands hold me up, lay me down, & again continue to fold in prayer."



"These hands are the mark of where I've been & the ruggedness of life."

 
Grandma continued...."But more importantly it will be these hands that God will reach out & take when he leads me home. And with my hands He will lift me to His side & there I will use these hands to touch the face of Christ."


. . . . . . .


I will never look at my hands the same again. But I remember God reached out & took my Grandma's hands & led her home.

When my hands are hurt or sore or when I stroke the face of my children & husband I think of Grandma. I know she has been stroked & caressed & held by the hands of God.

I, too, want to touch the face of God & feel His hands upon my face.

[from an unknown author]

** *** **


: : Have you sat and looked at your hands, lately?  They're beautiful...

Look for a follow-up post, sometime next week, on Beautiful Hands.

5 comments:

  1. What a heartwarming story, Bevy. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful.

    You have the most creative post.

    The photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, and here I was just thinkin' my were really showin' the wear and tear of farm life. I think I've just developed a new 'hand' attitude. Thanks! :o)

    God bless ya and have a fabulous day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right this did touch my heart!

    My heart is still singing from our talk today! Thank you so much for taking the time to phone me today. It meant so much to hear your voice. You are so special to me! A definite gift from God...Love you♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!
    ~clap-clap ~
    I applaud you with my hands.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...