Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

~Spinach Beef Pie~

. . . . . . . . .

The feeling of Fall coming on always puts me in the mood for some hearty, delicious meals.  As though not every meal that I conjure up isn't??  Of course....;)  there are a few that don't fit this category.  I confess. 
This dish, in the form of a pie - is a wonderful, wonderful favorite in our home.  I am so glad I found this recipe.  The crust is easy to do and brings on a feeling of healthiness as old-fashioned rolled oats are part of it.  You've got to make this sometime.  It's really, really delish. ;)

One other reason why I love making this recipe at this time of year is that it calls for a topping of fresh tomatoes to be added to the top - at the last few minutes of baking.  If you garden, you're sure to still have a few good, scrumptious tomatoes around... if not, they're easy to find.  Somebody has a couple, somewhere.  It only calls for one large - or equivalent of.



~Spinach Beef Pie~

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
7 Tbsp. cold butter
2-3 Tbsp. cold water
***
1 pound ground beef
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 dried marjoram (opt.)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 pkg.(10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
 3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
1 large tomato, seeded and diced

In a bowl, combine flour and oats; cut in butter until crumbly.  Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.  Roll out dough to fit a deep dish pie (Pampered Chef) plate.  (I don't roll it... I just sorta press it into the pie plate and up the sides)  You can flute edges, if you'd like.
In a skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the ketchup and seasonings.  Fold in the spinach; cool slightly.  Stir in eggs and 1 cup of cheddar cheese until combined; spoon into crust.

Bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set.  Top with remaining cheese.  Sprinkle diced tomatoes around the outer edge of the pie.  Bake 5-10 minutes longer until the cheese is melted.  Let the pie stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting, giving the pie to settle.
Yield: 6-8 servings.

*****

By the way.  I'm hosting a Pampered Chef Brunch demonstration at my home on Saturday, the 26th, at 11:00!
If you're local and would like to come, you're more then welcome to stop by.  Just let me know via email.
 If you would like to place an order; you can do that too, by logging onto www.pamperedchef.biz/jenfretz

The demonstrator's site will let you know how to go about placing an order.

Thank you!!  You know how much I love my pampered chef products.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Maybe it will be dinner tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like something we would enjoy. And yes, there are still a couple tomatoes out there for which I am grateful. When this season truly ends, I will be lost without my daily tomato sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That definitely looks like a scrumptious fall meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. **Jenn** It is.

    I know it's a tough sounding recipe if your family 'may think' that they don't like spinach... but my kids love it. Maybe they just don't know any better - because it's what they're used to.

    I'm sure your kids LOVE spinach - I'm not saying that they don't. I was just referring to it as a generalized statement.

    I just made this the other evening and, even now, my mouth is watering - just talking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...