Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday's Finds: {no. 34/10}

{Welcome to Friday's Finds! For those of you who are new to this blog and/or just poppin' in - Hello! and welcome. On Friday's I like try to feature "a find" of no particular value or sentiment, no reason or rhyme and yet, exactly for all of those reasons I just mentioned.}


. . . .. . . . .. . . .. .. .. .

For today's Friday's Finds.  We have... well actually, there are a couple of things. And we'll throw in some Friday FUNnies into the mix. Why not?  Hang in there as we go through these.



****


One afternoon we were trying to figure out what Aubrey had on her head.  Here it was a hand crocheted "baby hat" that my dear friend Nancy made.  Nancy had given them to us, as a gift, for Aubrey to use for her dolls.

Works beautifully to play "Mennonite Grandma Rhoda" though...



Caleb was not to be outdone.  Guess what we found, later that day?   One very stretched out little hat.

He's such a goof!

****

On this past Sunday afternoon, Caleb noticed this hot-air balloon off in the distant skies... and oh so badly wanted to "go get it".

These things travel rather quickly.  Just like that we heard this huge WHOOSH!! WHOO-OOO-SSHHH!
and we realized it was right over our house.   Well.  This freaked Caleb out something terrible.  He could not handle this thing SO BIG and SO CLOSE as this hot-air balloon - right here in our field.




Finally I got him calmed down enough that he agreed if I carry him - we would go back outside to stand with daddy out by the fence to watch. 


As it turned out it was a guy from our church who does this as a hobby.  He didn't know we lived here and so Scott says to him, "Well, we've had lots of folks stop by our place -from church before- but NEVER like this!"  Only then did Jack realize who we were... it was pretty funny (for us anyway).

****
So, right after our Nature Hike the other day... Caleb got sick (coughing and sneezing, clear runny nose) - which I'm almost certain is all due to allergies.  I decided to grease him up with Vick's.  Pretty good and proper.  Scott was out late - studying.  He'll stay longer at work for the peace and quiet.  When he got home - the little ones still hadn't quite settled for the night and were still playing with toys in their room.  I knew by the look on Scott's face that he could smell the Vick's, all the way downstairs - as it was pretty strong.

Caleb was upstairs - wearing *new* Pj's - hand-me-downs from his cousin.  First time wearing them.  He comes down the steps, around the corner into daddy's waiting arms... while I blurt out...in perfect timing...without missing a beat.

~Curious George PJ's~

This brings on a whole new definition to the term "grease monkey".  We all got a laugh out of that one.

******
We got a knock on our door the other afternoon.  Our neighbors found this box at their front door.  But it was for me.  Surprise!!

I received the best gift.  Mindy from Momma Mindy Moments sent me this box of great upholstery remnants, buttons (Love the buttons!) and vintage lace doilies - a couple of pieces were hand tatted.

Thank you so much, Mindy.  You have no idea how that made my day.  Especially you're hand-written note of thoughtfulness and your encouragement in regards to my family and my little home business on the side.  I really appreciated that.

****Can you say - Wow!?  How's that for a combination of life happenings all in one week?


Here's to hoping you all have
a fun, happy and safe weekend

6 comments:

  1. Love the "head covering" pictures. Too funny! After our parents visit last summer, my nephew (5 years old) has asked his mama (my sister) "why does Grandma dress like that?" And she replied, "Because she's Mennonite."

    When we were there to visit not long ago, her one year old daughter was wearing this little prairie-style dress they had gotten at the thrift store. About the same time as Andy mentioned quietly to me that the dress looked like something my mom would wear, Knox piped up and said, "That's Leila's Minn-oh-nite dress!"

    Apparently, from the first time she's worn the dress, he has talked about how it looks like Grandma; it's Minn-oh-nite! (Think little boy talking with a little bit of a Southern accent!)

    We have laughed and laughed about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny how our children find the simple things to make us laugh. They are so cute!

    What beautiful photos of that hot air balloon.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny!! Thanks so much for posting the pictures!! I felt so honored that Aubrey let me hold her doll yesterday. Did Caleb get duct tape for his bat?
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post. The shot of the hot air balloon was terrific. And isn't it the best when you get those unexpected packages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness you have had a busy and funny week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing your new (old) great upholstery remnants, buttons and vintage lace doilies in your upcoming bags.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...