Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Brokenness | Review of Chapter Four

. .. .. ... ... ... ... . . .. .. .. .. . . . . .. . . . .. . .

"Is he a broken Christian?"

That is the question that an African missionary, who served years ago, during a known season of revival, would get asked by the national believers there, if he were to mention the name of a particular Christian.  They didn't ask if s/he was committed or knowledgeable or hardworking, rather they wanted to know if s/he was broken(Paraphrased from first paragraph in chapter 63).

Am I a Proud or Broken Person?

This was a very self-revealing lesson. 

The object of this chapter was to review several attitudes (or scenarios) that would determine if we were either broken or proud.  We were asked to "test ourselves" by placing a check mark by the list of "attitudes toward or about...others, sin, rights, service or ministry, recognition,  themselves, relationships, walk with God" (so named by the author) and than to perhaps even ask someone else (namely our spouse) to see if what they thought even closely compared to what we thought and indicated about ourselves.

On the outset, it was determined, by all of us (ladies) agreeing, that it is much easier to see (or think of) others who are proud, rather then to take a look at ourselves first. 
Isn't that the truth, though?  I mean, I was originally reading through this chapter with the mindset that "so and so" really, REALLY needs to read this book.  Quickly glossing over the chapter - not really thinking that any of these were really true of me

What? wait a minute.... ching-ching... prIde!  Notice the middle letter of the word pride...ironically, it's "I".

The author actually brings the idea up, later in the chapter, when that we read this book and are immediately thinking of others who need to read this book ...
Watch out, it's a real prevalent issue.  It is so easy to point the finger at others without remembering the three or four fingers pointing back at ourselves.

A couple of the listed things that yes! I did eventually have eyes opened toward and confessed to, by checking them off, were...

Attitudes about Rights
* Proud people have to prove that they are right - they have to get the last word.  This happens a lot in "our" Marriage Conflict(s).
~ Broken people are willing to yield the right to be right.

* Proud people are self-protective of their time, their rights and their reputation.  For me, as a stay-at-home mom.
~ Broken people are self-denying and self-sacrificing.

Attitudes about Service and Ministry
* Proud people desire to be known as a success. I mentioned that I don't know about the word success as much as it's more like I desire to be noticed or identified.
~ Broken people are motivated to be faithful and to make others successful.

Attitudes about Recognition
* Proud people get wounded when others are promoted and they are overlooked.
~ Broken people are eager for others to get the credit, and they rejoice when others are lifted up.

Attitudes about Themselves
* Proud people can't bear to fail or for anyone else to think they are less then perfect.  This can drive them to extremes  - workaholic tendencies, perfectionism, the tendency to drive others or to place unrealistic expectations on themselves or others.
~ Broken people can recognize and live within God-given limitations.

* Proud people are self-conscious; they worry about what others think of them.
~Broken people are not preoccupied with what others think of them.


Attitudes about Relationships
* Proud people are unapproachable or defensive when corrected
~ Broken people receive correction with a humble, open spirit
* Proud people try to control the people and the circumstances around them - they are prone to manipulate.
~ Broken people trust in God - they rest in Him and are able to wait for Him to act on their behalf.



****
Obviously I didn't get into all of the "attitudes" mentioned nor did I list every example made mention of, nor did I share all of the "proud moments" that I discovered about myself.


Number one.  Because I am not proud of them.  Number Two.  Because this would be one very long post (which it already is - sorry).
The ones I did mention were some of the ones that most related to me and you read some of my commentary on them. 

So, am I a proud or broken person?   Why, as a matter of fact - I am...

The answer is clear ...  there is a lot of room for growth in this dear sister. And, I'll be honest.  God is gracious and kind.  I know that if I were to think back on some of these scenarios listed... I can see where at some points in time, I was not broken in one area or another... and, just because he does continue to break us down, in time, over one area or another... time heals and mends.  God wants us to be a broken vessel, but with that, it's almost like there is more character (or charm) presented - when something has once been chipped and cracked, then lovingly mended and restored.


Put it this way... in thinking of a clay pot or piece of fine china.  If the handle is broken off - the cup or pitcher still has a purpose to fulfill.  It isn't meant to be over.  Just because He breaks you down in one area doesn't mean you'll stay broken and without meaning.- therein, it only means more restoration and love He'll have for the cherished treasure He sees in and of us.  He's good! 

I think so many people continue to live in that "broken", woe-is-me mindset... sometimes knowingly and other times not so knowingly. 

Which brings us back to the question - What is true brokenness?  This is the title of Chapter Two... and as I just reread that post link, I wished I would've gone  a bit deeper into this... on the perception of what some folks think brokenness is.  I believe it is very different than most folks will realize.

I'll just say this... HUMBLY SUGGESTING.... You really should read this book.  Find it; Borrow it;  Buy it...

Brokenness, by Nancy Leigh De Moss



: : Hey, so about that approach taken, in the first paragraph there - asking if he or she is a Broken Christian?
Would you want that to be asked of you on a regular basis?

 I'm still thinking about that...

3 comments:

  1. To answer the question, Yes, I would like to be asked. It will keep me in check. That's why I think you should revisit these posts later on.

    Your series on Brokenness is very powerful.
    Thank you for showing us and helping us.
    Love your honesty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UM...WOW! I think I need to read that book! Very humbling post...VERY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA, I laugh because I DID exactly what you said - I started to read your post and thought "Hey, so and so should really read that book!" OH BAD! I loved the I in pride bit...okay not loved - but appreciated it! I'm going to try to remember that, change the whole, no 'U' in team thing to "There's no U in pride, just a very big I!" Thanks Bevy, the only thing better then reading your post would be to be there in the study with you - keep sharing, I need it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...