Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday's Finds | We're Nuts

. .. . .. . . .. . .. . .. . . ..

My mother-in-law (bless her heart) has found - We're Nuts!


{Welcome to Friday's Finds! For those of you who are new to this blog and/or just poppin' in - Hello! and welcome. On Friday's I like to try and feature "a find" of no particular value or sentiment, no reason or rhyme and yet, exactly for all of those reasons I just mentioned.}



Today's Friday's Finds is me just sharing one way (or two) on how I love to use nuts...in cooking.

Like I said, Susie, my MIL, found this nut company and has purchased from them for the past couple of years.  Its always been a blessing when she would call to get our order of what we wanted. From pounds of walnuts, to pecans, to macadamia, to almonds, to cashews.

Expensive, to say the least!  I'm sure of it...

And yet, what a blessing it's been, to be able to share any of our abundance with friends and family members, as well.

Here is a dish I made just the other evening  - that I am sure is not a new recipe to anyone. 


I've had Fettachini Alfredo many a time at restaurants all across "the way".  This is my most favorite way to have it prepared - made with (blackened) chicken, fresh spinach and walnuts.  I pray that the restaurant doesn't mind if I ask them to alter their menu - just for me. ;)

Now.  Realize this happens very rarely.  We honestly hardly ever go "out to eat" and that's okay.  I just make this dish at home from time to time - to scratch my itch.

The other night I happened to have fresh spinach on hand - that was in dire need to get eatin' on. ;) Which is another way I choose to cook.  When something lets me know it needs to get used up... it becomes my dinner inspritaion.    I love fresh spinach and so this just fit my fancy.
Anyway.  I also had a hankerin' for pasta and saw that I had a bag of Ravioli in the freezer - why not use those instead of the Fettachini Pasta? 

I threw in a huge handful of walnuts - which somehow made the dish feel heartier and meatier - and, since I didn't have chicken to add into the dish.



Here is my recipe for the alfredo sauce:

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 grated Parmasean Cheese
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Dash of Nutmeg
Dash of black pepper

Melt butter in saucepan.  Add the cheese to melt; add cream, pepper and nutmeg.  (Here is where I threw large handlfuls of fresh spinach to wilt down, along with the walnuts). 

Toss in hot pasta and serve immediately.


I have to share a quick funny with you. 

While we were eating our dinner - Scott was trying to "encourage" Caleb to eat up...
He offered Caleb a nut with the forkful of pasta and Caleb was quick to say, "No thanks.  Nuts are for squirrels."
Well.  Okay then....

Needless to say we all got a chuckle out of that one.

: : By the way, walnuts (plain or sugared) are also delicious served in a large tossed salad, as well.
What are some ways you like to use nuts, in meals?  I would love to hear....

5 comments:

  1. "Nuts are for squirrels!" Yay, Caleb~~you've got a quick wit!
    I like to put walnuts and raisins (or craisins) into brown rice just before it's finished cooking. It adds a nice texture and flavor. I often put a little orange zest in, too.
    Your pasta dish looks wonderful~~I'll have to try that sometime, too.
    I hope you're able to stay off of your feet so your leg can rest. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walnuts are SO good for you! They're a "Super Food" and we have some on hand all the time. I like crumbling up some on our green salads. Throw some chopped into your jello before it sets.
    LOVE,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. UMMMM! Does your fettachini alfredo ship?! This sounds like perfect comfort food to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never go wrong with Alfredo Sauce! Your dish looks delish.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem like a brilliant cook Beverly! : ) Wow. Kaish would love it at your house. Must send him over : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...