Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

:Hospitality:

. . .. .. . .. .. .. .. ... .. . .. . ..

I woke up with this word on my mind again, this morning.  I'm not sure why... but I did.  To read a previous post on this subject - read HERE!

I began to think of what that might look like for me today.  I began reading a peice, and the author was speaking of a time, recently, where she was unwell ... a friend had stopped by, to say hello, but "hung out" long enough to prepare dinner for her and her family - just because.

I thought about that.  I could so relate.  Back when I had my unexpected Phlebitis issue, with my leg - I've had several friends either do that or something similar.  It was such a simple blessing.  But HUGE - for me.  I was really blessed by their hospitable actions.

I read of another account, this morning, where one thing after another was turning quickly into a disaster, for one of my friends.  But the Lord brought the right people along, at the right exact time, to aide and help (with their forms of hospitality) - taking care of each issue in and with immediacy.  Praise be to Him!

It's a brand new day for me! 

Will I have the opportunity to be hospitable towards (for) someone else, today?  I don't know - but I will try.

***
Here is where the rubber meets the road, for me.

Picture of our Home in Spring of  '09.

What about hospitality when it's just mama and the kiddo's - alone - all day long?  What does that look like;  What should that look like;  What can that look like?  I don't know that I have the answer - but I have an idea and a suggestion.

I'll admit.  Yesterday I was one serious grump.  I was impatient.  I was fretful.  I was unkind.  Certainly not a picture of  sweet hospitality (in my mind).  I was very grateful when I got a phone call, late afternoon, inviting our family over to dinner.  I could finally get out of the house and away from my "slump".  I am a bit ashamed that it took a dinner invitation to do this, for me. 

Anyway. 

Here is what I really want to say about all of this...



This morning, while I was making our bed - pulling the sheets up tight and semi fluffing the pillows- is when the word hospitality came to my mind.  I know that this may seem to be a stretch in thought here... but I'm willing to share it with you.

I make our bed every morning- not perfectly, notice some wrinkles.  But, if I don't do it all... I feel worse than how I described the way I felt yesterday.  It's just the way it works for me.

I even make the little ones beds.  They're three and two years of age... but, if I don't they notice and they'll try to 'help'.  Other times - they'll unmake it later in the day (for their own fun and games) and I start over...grrr!

It's like hospitality for me.  I'm doing something for myself and my family that makes me feel good, blessed and refreshed.  It's simple... and easy thing to do and if nothing else gets done - at the end of the day you can go to bed in peace.  Not having to "fight your way" through a rumpled mess of sheets and blankets and wrinkles.  ** Don't hear what I'm not saying: if you make your bed or you don't - is a personal issue.

We don't have a jazzed up bed with thousands of pillows and layers and layers of sheets, blankets and duvets - where it would take twenty minutes or so to make the bed.  Maybe, some day I will, too!  It's looks so much more comfy and beautiful.
Nonetheless, if we were to have guests in our home - the bed would, at least, be made comfortably and adequately. 

Why not start with me - practicing hospitality at home?

May this be my thought and prayer today ...

Home to me is laughter...
Kisses on my cheek when they are least expected;
Glances filled with gladness;
The happiness in knowing
I'm a portion of
My family's fulfillment.
Home to me...is love!
June Brown Harris

And, dare I add... Home to me is... where hospitality starts.


6 comments:

  1. Good words Bevy. I really like all that you wrote about making the bed...I think I will take that to heart! :) Thank you.
    The poem is lovely, good things to think on and pray on! Your words have been an encouragment to me today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts today! Hospitality does begin in our home with those we are around ALL the time!

    (I'm a bed maker, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Bev. Thanks for making me see things from a different angle. Your pillow case is so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home is the perfect place to start and then practice Hospitality.
    Isn't Hospitatlity also service, which is generosity, which is kindness, which is just what Jesus was?
    Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are hospitable in your home. What a beautiful thing to be and do. Hospitable. I love that word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. somehow I thought this was the post I commented so lengthy on. anyway, while trying to find it this morning to link up for my post about your visit, I finally found it!
    and this my friend is the post that touched my heart and soul;-)It's worth a repost in itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...