Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Vessel of Honor

. ... ... ... ... .. ... .. .. .. .. . . .. . .. .. .. .. ..  .. .. .
As water reflects a face; so a man's heart reflects the man.
 ~ Proverbs 27: 19


This was the verse that came to mind - after this photo was taken several weeks ago.   I thought about how beautifully the water puddle - lying low- reflected the sunset, settling - high above.

As I reflected on this verse... I began to become more and more aware of how much my face really does reflect my heart.  Just like this water puddle reflecting the glorious sunset... it - in this case - is a beautiful thing.  But, that isn't always the way, is it?

You know - you really can't see your own face unless your looking into a mirror, right?  So, others around us are the ones that get the distinct privilege of seeing our faces on a regular basis. 

But, what do they see?

I mean just this morning, I got caught in my own thoughts, regarding this.  I was sitting here trying to type out these very words when my three year old began his begging and pleading to play his computer 'game' (which is really a preschool learning tool, but he calls it his game).  Basically, I had to keep my heart in check and not reflect the frustration (mounting) that I felt about getting "pushed" off the computer.  I had to literally choose to be gracious in that moment and walk away - reflecting Jesus in that moment.  A moment of grace, gentleness and forbearance.
It was hard.  Obviously, it wasn't in my heart to be putting my son first - I had an agenda; a me moment.
Granted Caleb needs to learn patience as well, but it was an opportunity, for me, to just take a deeper look at myself.

Another thought I had was...

May the whole earth be filled with his glory. (Ps. 72:19)

Just like the low lying areas of this earth become as vessels to hold rain drops that fell from heaven... our souls (hearts, lives) are to be as earthen vessels holding (all of) God's glory.  We can only be filled - by his Spirit falling on us...and we receiving.

Without the true light of Christ shining down on us, or we taking that and receiving it... we are darkness.  Our faces (our lives) reflect that.

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.  And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. ~ 2 Corinthians 3:17-18

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness", made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. ~ 2 Corinthians 4: 6-7

I just thank the Lord for his specific care to refine us; transform us; grow us... for us to be an increasing reflection of his glory to all who look on us.  I know I need him, every single day, and his all-surpassing grace in my life to be what he has called me to be:
a Vessel of Honor.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, you have a great skill of posting things that cause me to reflect, ponder and evaluate. I will have to pray about what you have written, I think it's a good area for conviction for me...not that I'm happy to say that. Once again, thank you for sharing. PS> I make the bed everyday now, thanks to you! ;) God bless you Bevy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL! I want my face to reflect God's love and glory to everyone I meet. LOVED this post, Bevy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautifully written. I now have a lot to ponder today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...