Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Emptying to Fill

. . .. . .. . .. . . .. . . .. . . . . . .

Several days ago, the phrase, Pay it Forward, kept coming to mind.  Then as I wrote for Friday's post - I began mulling over the phrase Poured Out.  Of course, that led to the thoughts of Ann's writings in her book - One Thousand Gifts - that thought of ...

emptying to fill.

These phrases are really all one in the same.  Aren't they?

Which brings us to today.  When I first read that phrase, "empty to fill", it struck me as something I've never given much thought to before. 

I will bless you... and you will be a blessing.  ~ Genesis 12:2, NIV - emphasis added. 
Here of late - I feel as though I've given SOOOOO much out.  And, yet...

How much I've been given.

When things are daily.  Mundane.  Ordinary.  Quite routine and not-so-rewarding in and of themselves, I often fail to measure them against the amazing grace of my Lord.  I often like to say - I am Blessed, but in the nitty, gritty of it all - I so often forget how to be a blessing, both in the coming and in the going.

Washing dishes should be more then just washing dishes.
Folding socks more then just the folding of socks.
Answering another Why? followed by a How come?, etc.

I appreciate that verse from Genesis... or at least it being brought to my attention... that as the LORD blesses us/me - we are in turn blessing others with our doing.  Or we, at least, should be.  With Joy!

I want to share directly from the chapeter, empty to fill, in Ann's book. Here are two paragraphs that say it much better than I.

Give your life away in exchange for many lives, give away your blessings to multiply blessings, give away so that many might increase, and do it all for the love of God.  I can bless, pour out, be broken, and given in our home and the larger world never fear that there won't be enough to give.  Eucharisteo (to give thanks)has taught me to trust that there is always enough God.

The servant-hearted never serve alone. Spend the whole of your one wild and beautiful life investing in many lives, and God will simply not be outdone.  God extravagantly pays back everything we give away and exactly in the currency that is not of this world but the one we yearn for: Joy in Him.  -- One Thousand Gifts


So.

Even when I need to give my hubby another week, or so, to study deeper still; to retake his exam - due to not passing it on Saturday... I can.  I will.  With Joy!

87. - 89. Thank you Lord, for my man's response to the outcome of this failed exam.  A humble heart - knowing that there is something that you would like to teach him, from this.  That his confidence is in you, Lord, and not in and of himself.

 That speaks to me...

90. Your Holy (inspired) Word!
91. New Life... breathed.  A healthy baby girl born, next door to us.
92. The Lord's Poured Out abundance...
93. a CD given to me - quite unexpectedly - from a friend at church (How Emptiness Sings - Christa Wells)
94. a shared meal with family and friends
95. gifts of Courage. Wisdom.  Insight.
96. early morning - birds singing
97. a full front porch
98. Quiet, still and calm days... so few and far between.
99. when daddy's home!
100. bag orders and Homespun Baby Shoes finished on time.
101. news of protection granted in the midst of tornado driven chaos and heartache.




3 comments:

  1. beautifully written Bevy. You seem to be really digging deep into this book and gaining a lot of wisdom and understanding. I'm encouraged and inspired by reading your posts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully written post sweetie. God truly knows what is best for us.

    A couple of weeks ago Hubs called me and was stuck in the creek tryin' to get to the pasture on the other side to fertilize and plant corn. Try as we may I couldn't pull him across. That field didn't get planted.

    This week the floods came and the creek spilled out and covered the field. It would of ruined any planting and cost us a ton of money. So especially in the struggles...God is workin'.

    God bless and have a marvelous day sweetie! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!!!!!! I am working on an article for At the Well that talks about being a momma and having a servant's heart! Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...