Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday's Finds | Kentucky Hot Brown Tart

 .. . . .. . . . .. . .. . . . . . .. .. ..


{Welcome to Friday's Finds! For those of you who are new to this blog and/or just poppin' in - Hello! and welcome.

On Friday's I like to try and feature "a find" of no particular value or sentiment, no reason or rhyme and yet, exactly for all of those reasons I just mentioned. You'll never guess what I'm going to find, next.}


Kentucky Hot Brown Tart Recipe

I love the Southern Living magazines that come into our home via my Mother-in-law, after she is finished with them.  They come in like a cool southern breeze on a hot, muggy northern day... ;)  all that to say, I mean - they're very refreshing. 

This recipe is my Friday's Find.

I came across this photo in the recent May issue and I immediately began... drooling.  I needed wanted something different for dinner that night and actually had all of the needed ingredients on hand.

Well, almost.

I made my own crust, instead of using a refrigerated one, like they suggested. 

Here is the recipe for your enjoyement.

~Kentucky Hot Brown Tart~

Ingredients:

1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts **

1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey (oh, I used chicken, instead)

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded white Cheddar cheese

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives  (I didn't have fresh)

6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

1 1/2 cups half-and-half

4 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Unroll piecrusts; stack on a lightly greased surface. Roll stacked piecrusts into a 12-inch circle. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch deep-dish tart pan with removable bottom; press into fluted edges. Trim off excess piecrust along edges. Line piecrust with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Remove weights and foil from piecrust, and bake 8 more minutes. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 15 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

2. Layer turkey and next 3 ingredients in tart shell on baking sheet.

3. Whisk together half-and-half and next 3 ingredients; pour over turkey.

4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until set.

5. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; press tomatoes lightly with paper towels. Arrange over top of tart, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack 15 minutes.

Southern Living
MAY 2011


By the way.  This was a delicious meal, served up with a side salad - one night for dinner.  And, the leftovers were just as good for breakfast/brunch the following morning. 

** You can find the ingredients for my own Quiche/Pie Crust recipe - HERE.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As excited as I am to be back online... I'm (still) having trouble loading my own pics.  My hubby explained it (once, maybe twice or more) and I am obviously not techy enough to figure it out.  I'm not sure what my blog will look like over the next couple of days.  So bear with me... as things are being relearned both for me and the computer.  Basically, I'm working with a brand-new (rebuilt) computer... and well, it's  just different.

Thanks.  I am not complaining... I'm just saying.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm wishing that I had all of the ingredients on hand right now. Actually, maybe I'll just run to the store. And I'll tell you, not many recipes warrant that in my book...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh does this look delicious and I have everything on hand, also!

    Off to go and try your Friday Find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're having trouble with our modem and I was not able to get on at'tall on Wednesday. Good grief alreay, I must be addicted to blogging or something???

    So,
    I'm really liking the looks to this tart. Funny too, my mil gets southern living and as a matter of fact, I just left her house not too awful long ago with March,april and may issues to look through...

    We are too much alike it's riciculous.

    I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems computer troubles are going around. I'm with Amanda and struggling with my modem. UGH! Anyhoo...that recipe looks yumcious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Southern Living is one of my favorite magazines as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...