Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hospitality Journal

. . .. . . . .. . . . .. . . . . .. . . .. . ..

I'm not 100% sure where I got this idea... I thought maybe from Sandy, over at Reluctant Entertainer... but I couldn't seem to locate the post to link to it.  So, I apologize in advance that I'm not giving adequate credit - to where (and whomever) credit is due.  But, I'm pretty sure it's her.

If you've ever seen anything like this before - let me know.

***

I decided it was high-time that I started keeping better track of what I've served, food wise, and to whom - so that when we have guests over (repeatedly) we're not necessarily serving them the same thing over and over.



I found myself a pretty cheapo notebook.  And made my own 'insert', in which you can see that is says Hospitality Journal ~ 2011- ?.

Inside, I simply list:

~ Who was here for a meal
~ What date (including if it was lunch or dinner or a play date or a blessing meal taken to them or what-have-you.)
~ What food & beverage was served
~ Anything else I found out - if the guests had/have any food allergies or aversions that I didn't know
~ Any suggestions, preferences or changes I would make about the recipes, regarding what I had served...

You get the idea.

My husband has told me that I had better start looking for another notebook - this one is going to fill up fast.  I love that he loves having friends over to our home as much as I do.  It sure helps to be on the same page - in the aspect of hospitality.

***

It's been on my heart to practice, practice, practice - hospitality.  And, you know, it's easy if you always have *new faces* come into your home - you can make a standard meal and no one would know if the guests before them were served the same meal.  But, what happens when you have dear, dear friends in your home on a repeated basis - due to reasons left unsaid?  

I knew, I needed help to keep track of things a bit better.

Now.  Does that mean I never repeat dishes?  No.  When I know that a particular dish is a keeper (due to what I've been told :)) -  then for sure, I'll repeat something here and there... letting my friends know I care enough to make what they like... just because. :)

This is where (again) the Hospitality Journal comes in real handy.


Happy entertaining!

6 comments:

  1. I heard of a woman doing a similar thing, but with index cards for each person she had over. She wrote the same information you're including, especially food allergies, likes, dislikes, etc. I think it's a great idea.

    We were just talking after Bible study tonight how important hospitality is as a family for ministering together. It's a helpful and healing way to minister to souls - lost and saved.
    MommaMindy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your children will reap the benefits from your hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful idea! And another twist on the journaling that we leave our kids. It will be wonderful for them to look back on the gracious heart of their mama on the pages of people served and what was prepared...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I need to practice hospitality more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's an awesome idea...but i guess that would mean i would have to be hospitable! i'm going to work on that in VA:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a charming idea and a fun title.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...