Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Z" surplus - is plentiful

. .. . . . .. . . . .. . . .. . . .. ... . .. . . . . .. . . . .. .


When I pulled this jar out of my freezer, from who knows how long ago, I wondered about it.  I remembered it to be a jar of Zucchini Jam (a recipe from my mother) and decided to try it on my toast the other morning.



I liked it.  A lot.

Delicious if you like zucchini and delicious - if you don't.  No one really has to know...

I suppose you could name it something else - to get it past wrinkled noses, for those who don't like the "Z" word.



~ Zucchini Jam~
Peel and cut up 4 cups of Zucchini
add a little water and cook 15-20 minutes, until soft.
add one teaspoon of salt


Drain off almost all liquid - mix in blender (to puree) and add 2 cups of sugar.
Bring to a boil in medium saucepan... and add 1 - 3oz. (or 1/3cup, bulk) box of Jello - of your choice.
Can be frozen.  **Which is what I did - it's easier to freeze.

*****
And, then.  I had a hankering for this rustic recipe.  Something I've never tasted before... but I could imagine it's flavorful combination very well.  ;)  Scott was laughing at me.  I made it last night for dinner and I thought it was simply delightful.


~ Zucchini and Tomato Quiche ~

1 cup chopped Zucchini (center seed portion taken out)
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup grated chedder cheese
Parmesan cheese (I used maybe a 1/4 cup)
2 eggs
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 400*.  Grease 9" pie pan.  Sprinkle chopped ingredients into pan.  Mix remaining indgredients.  Pour into pan.  Bake for 35 minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

** Now.  I felt like this needed a crust.  So I made this one, halving the recipe below to make one crust... and pressed into the bottom of my stoneware -Medium Bar Pan, from Pampered Chef, instead of a pie plate. 

~ Quick Pie Crust (great for Quiche) ~

1/2 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 cups flour

First mix water and oil.  Then add salt and baking powder - wisk together.  Add flour by stirring in.  I press it by hand into the pan.  Yields: 2-3 crust... depending on how thick or thin you want it to be.

****

How are you enjoying your Zucchini and Tomato surplus??  Do you try to find all kinds of ways to use them up, or are you quicker to share the wealth by giving them away?  Either way... it's all good.  Right?

4 comments:

  1. Using them up! Tonight's menu is Zucchini casserole!
    Slice Zucchini medium thickness and lay flat in the bottom of 13x9. (I use stoneware, of course!) Two cups of unprepared minute rice over that, 1 pound of cooked ground beef over that (I cooked up some onion and g pepper too) 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce and top it with Mozz/parm cheese. Bake at 375 for 40 ish minutes....I think! (it's in the oven now and haven't made it in awhile. It's kinda a "wing-it" recipe for me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is grieved to say that I've not a single.one.of the "z"'s
    not a one.

    We are slow--ly getting some tomatoes. Nothing exciting. I think I ended up canning a quart and a half yesterday. and neither of them sealed. And so it looks as if I will be making soup or spaghetti or such with them. so sad.

    But oh my. I'm headed to the store tomorrow and it might be worth it to get the stuff to make this.

    I'd really like some:)

    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge Quiche fan but that one looks and sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the beginning of your post, I was puzzled because your Zucchini Jam was a beautiful pinky, red color. I couldn't figure out how your got zucchini that color. Kept reading, jello!

    You are keeping me on my toes!
    Looks wonderful, both recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...