Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"you have an old soul"

. . . . .. .. . . .. . . ... .. . .. .. ... .. . . . ... .. .
Some time ago, my dear cousin Ruth, said to me those very words.

"Bev, you have an old soul!"

You know what? I'll take that. And, I'll agree with it 100%.
At first - I wasn't so sure what she meant or how she meant it... but as I thought about it over time... she's really right.

Case in point....

Recently, someone very near and dear to me (wink*wink*) and I were having a serious argument discussion over the issue of sports and sport related activities when it comes to our children. What would that look like? How much is too much? Should we? Why and how come? And definitely not Sunday games, etc. Are you serious - Gymnastics? Wrestling? Boy and Girl Scouts?

My qualm is this. I don't want to be that run-around mom to every thing/game/activity all day long... several times a week.

Don't or Won't? My husband asks... and it's a fair question. (I'll give him that.)

The biggest area of current debate is gymnastics for our daughter. Yeah sure... she's brave, bold, agile, petite, bouncy and a tumbler and wants to climb on everything and everyone that will let her.  She should be given the opportunity to safely hone that in.


Up. Down. Up. Down.
 
***
Here is why I appreciate the term "Old Soul"...

I quickly assessed that *gymnastics* have replaced what once was the olden days of growing-up-down-on-the-farm and used this as my defence... this is all in my own humble opinion please and thank you!

There are no "real" down-to-earth good ole places to play anymore.  And, to play hard...for kids these days.

The balance beam has replaced the rail between the fence posts.

The trapeze bars have replaced the rope swing hanging off the side of the haymow.

The floor mat has replaced the cow pasture.

There is no dancing to be had across wet, slippery stones in the creek bed or tiptoeing ever so stealthily across the old tree log just downstream.

Forward and backward flips?  We all did those "skin-the-cat" moves on the sidebar of the swing set in the back yard (or wherever)...

Gymnastics doesn't have beat-up cars, tractors or trees to climb.  No. It's got pressure mounting and the charts to climb.  Oh yeah.
****

You know what? 
I'm proud of my old soul.

Sure.  We live on a farm... and I think ((ahem!!)) that my daughter has found her own.

Modern day gymnastics or farm or no farm.  I miss the good ole days.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you (as usual) Bevy. My sister says the same about me, "An old soul." What you wrote is one of the many reasons I would LOVE to move to the country - I did think it out in terms of activities replacing once daily kid things, but I like/agree with that thought! Also, putting kids in a slew of activities seperates and
    takes away from (precious) family time (but that's just my humble oppinion).

    I love your daughter's hair - I always wanted her exact colour!

    And thank you for your comment, good to hear from you! And yay, for typing with two hands! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!
    and
    AMEN!!!

    I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a little old fashioned that way too. i really don't like running all over the place with the girls. getting too busy to even think straight. lately we've been brainstorming activities though just so they can make friends here. i guess it has to be done. oh and i'm reading that book you sent me. i made peanut butter pie for my honey. big hit. now i guess i need to make it for an outsider and be hospitable;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You stick to it like glue sweetie. There's nothin' like jumpin' the bales and climbin' the side of a mountain!

    God bless and have a terrific Thursday sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our rule of thumb was - no organized activities {dance, sports, clubs, scouts, etc} until they were school age. Worked for us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...