Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Over the Moon - moments

.. . .. . .. . . .. . . .. . .. . .. ... .. .. .. . . .. . .. . . ...


It was a pleasant surprise this morning!  I was up (again) with Jayne, this time at 5:00am - ish!  I'm not exactly sure - I'm still half-asleep at those "feeding" times. This morning was different.  Since it was 5-ish and Jayne had fallen back to sleep pretty quickly...I decided to crash on the couch until it was really time for me to get up.  However, just through the living room window was the most brightest of night-lights - the moon!

The small jars I have lined up along the top of the window were glistening.  Soaking up and collecting the very essence of moon-shine?  If I only I could have bottled it up. 

I got back up to find my camera.  I tried to take a photo of it indoors to capture what I was seeing...but that was a joke.  So... I went outdoors.  It wasn't the same, but in it's own right it was just as magical.  I don't know if I've ever taken a photo of the moon like this one.

Of course.  I feel as though I've been having my own Ann moment, if you will.  Because this going outside thing reminded me of something...years ago.

For those of you who have read her book - One Thousand Gifts - you'll remember the chapter where she talks in great length of her "given chase to the moon". 

{Interjection here:  To the ladies, who might be reading this, who sat around my dining room table the other Saturday morning - as we discussed this very chapter. I'm sorry...I didn't share this story with you all. I kinda forgot about it. Oops!}

***
Back in my teen years... I used to chase the moon, too.  Why?  I don't know...
There were many a night when I would slip out - my parents and siblings all asleep in their beds - just  to sit out there under the moon beams and the stars and enjoy this quiet time with the Lord; to reflect; to pray; to speak aloud the thoughts, dreams and notions that were mine.  All mine, for me and my future. 

I'd go down by the outskirts of the apple orchard - down by and under the big ole oak tree or was it the maple?  We sure had some wonderful trees, growing up.  On these full moon nights I'd always take my journal  outdoors with me - but I still couldn't quite see well enough to write anything down, yet it was comforting to have it along. 

I like how Ann describes herself as a "hunter trying to capture", the moon, with her camera.  Though none of the shots taken are right.  Enough. Especially for {this} hunter.

 She goes on to say...

"What is this that I feel sitting here, coursing through me relentless, hot, ardent? 
I have to seek God beauty.  Because isn't my internal circuitry wired to seek out something worthy of worship?  Every moment I live, I live bowed to something.  And if I don't see God, I'll bow down before something else.
Is worship why I've run for the moon?  Not for lunar worship, but for True Beauty worship, worship of Creator Beauty Himself.  God is present in all the moments, but I do not deify the wind in the pines, the snow falling on the hemlocks, the moon over harvested wheat.  Pantheism, seeing the natural world as divine, is a very different thing than seeing Divine God present in all things.  I know it here kneeling, the twilight to still: nature is not God but God revealing the weight of Himself, all the glory, through the looking glass of nature." 
I, too, can remember the feeling of not wanting to leave the moment, to go back indoors.  The moment and feeling I got - from over the moon. 


#506. "flowers for you"

#507. chocolate chips by the handful

#508. "skippering", swirling, rustling leaves

#509. floating, gliding bird on wing

#510. tall stately oak trees

#511. gnarled old maples

#512. corn fields brown and ready to harvest

#513. red barns

#514. bumble bee on a roadside flowering weed  - not a care in the world

#515. woodsmoke filtering through the air

#516. beautiful sunset - one even the kids oohed and awed over

#517. just being together

#518. Caleb "back to school" - after a couple of sick days

#519. moon beams, all shining

#520. holding hands - while driving down the road or before falling off to sleep - because we still do!



1 comment:

  1. a beautiful photo to go along with a heartfelt post:)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...