Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chocolate {Brownie} Bavarian Torte

 .. .. ... . . .. . . .. .. .. . .. . . . .. ... . . . .. . . ..

A couple of weeks ago now, we were invited to friends of ours, for dinner.  I asked what I could bring and we settled on me bringing a dessert of some kind.  I was thrilled!!
{Interjection:  It really bothers me when someone tells me to 'just come' and to not bring anything.  Yet!  I do the very same thing, to others.  I'll tell them to just bring their appetite(s) and that's it.  I wonder why that is?}


So.  Back to this dessert.  It is a layered dessert.  Rich.  And, surprisingly it has a hint of coffee/mocha flavor even though there is nothing coffee about it.

Chocolate Bavarian Torte

1 (18 1/4 oz.) devil's food cake mix  (except that I used a Ghirardelli Brownie Mix, instead**)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/4 - 2 cups. whipping cream, whipped
2 Tbsp. grated semi-sweet chocolate (I think I used some Hershey Kisses and just chopped them up - in my food chopper)

Bake the cake mix as directed on package.  Use to 9" round cake pans.  Cool for 15 minutes.  Remove cake(s) from pan and cool completely on wire racks.  (**...here is what I did. I baked the brownie mix as directed, in a 9" square baking pan. Perhaps under baking it a bit.  Let it cool in the pan. And cut into 1" squares.)

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy.  Fold in cream.  Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one on a serving platter.  Spread with a 1/4 cup of the cream mixture - sprinkling 1/4 of the chocolate over that.  Repeat layers.

(** What I did, was use a trifle bowl or a deep clear serving bowl.  I layered a handful of brownie cubes - then some of the cream mixture and chocolate, repeating as I went.  See photo.)

Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.   (I'm not sure that I needed to do this last part with using the brownie.  At least for this length of time.)

Enjoy!  This pure decadence.

5 comments:

  1. This looks so BAD! I love it. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never want anyone to bring anything because I'm not just offering them a meal, but time off in the kithen. When I do have someone bring something, they go to so much work, and what they bring is amazing, but then I feel like I didn't get to bless them because they still spent a lot of time in the kitchen. :)

    So, I have resolved this by not asking then to bring anything, if they offer I turn them down graciously and thank them. If they ask a second time, I know they WANT to bring something because they enjoy cooking and then I say yes because I know it's their blessing to me.

    The desert looks amazing....need to put this in my online recipe file.

    mommamindy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bevy:

    First of all....this looks yummy! Can't go wrong with chocolate...secondly LOVING the music...I actually left it on while I did some research last night...very encouraging...

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. UMMM.... this is right up my alley! I'll take a huge helping of this, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness : ) I would like to make this for thankgiving or Christmas. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...