Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

fast~fingered, fun~food

. .. . .. . . .. . . .. . .. . .. ... .. . . .. . . . .. . .. .. . .. . ..
Please tell me you've heard of Finger Jell-O...

Recently, two of my friends (and their families) have told me that they weren't so sure what Finger Jell-O was... and seemed some-what reluctant to try it.  I think...I've since made them a believer, even though I won't tell you, or them, what gelatin (major ingredient in Jell-O) is really made from, and because of that, in some folks perspective, Jell-O is considered a non-food.  Not mine...even though I can see what they're saying.

Okay.

Moving on.

We had so much fun!  Today, it was Caleb's turn to take snack for his Pre-school Class.  I made Finger Jell-O for our recent overnight guests and he is so like his Mother...when it comes to food...he remembered how fun Finger Jell-O could be and so, he so badly wanted me to make this for his class, as well.  I asked, several times, if he was sure and even gave other options but he always came back to this.

So, I obliged.



I found a recipe that has become a fast favorite for Finger Jell-O.  Can you tell I love Jell-O?  It includes Whipping Cream.  Can you see the two layers in the photo?  It's just pretty...and something different.  Okay, so I know you're all shaking your heads and laughing at me. ;)

Here is the recipe.

Cream Finger Jell-O
3 (3 oz.) pkg. any flavor of Jell-O  ( I used black raspberry)
3 cups hot water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream ( I used light cream)

Dissolve Jell-O in hot water.  Dissolve unflavored gelatin in cold water.  Combine the two mixtures and cool 10 minutes.  Add cream and stir.  Pour into 9x13 pan and refrigerate.  This Jell-O sets quickly and seperates, making it look like two layers.  Use cookie cutters to make different Jell-O shapes.

Or.  You could do like I did and pour about 1/3 cup of hot Jell-O into paper-lined cupcake tins, chill to set and just peel paper off to eat.  So easy and fun.   One recipe made about 18-20 cups...if I remember correctly.  I made some without the cream - just in case there were any food allergies to milk.

***
Here's to a fast~fingered, fun~food idea!!

10 comments:

  1. You're so funny! I guess I've led a sheltered life, never having heard of finger jello! :) (And I *do* know what gelatin is made of! lol)

    They look really cute and E is very excited about being able to eat them at school. Thanks for the fun snack...and the education! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEE!!! It's not only us....
    And, I also know what Jello is made of.... Not worth thinking about with each bite though.... : )

    WHAT FUN!!! But that Brownie Triffle - to DIE FOR!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess I'll change things up a bit on your comments. I do know what finger jello is! :) Not 100% sure I know what gelatin is made up of, but I have an inkling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kristy. Did you find the Brownie recipe? It is on the blog here. Just checkin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny! (thought I'd add to the "F's")
    Finger Jello was a staple in our home when our children were young.
    But you sure added a great twist to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nevah, evah:)
    heard of finger jello.
    so I'm shaking my head and laughing because you are one mama who sounds crazy over jello.
    and it's a good thing because you can share the jello craze with your kids:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, sounds yummy to me. Might try it sometime. :) Thanks for the idea.

    Have a great day. Take care, Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love jello too! And of course, have heard of finger jello. My mom hardly ever made it growing up and when she did, we loved it! Your jello "muffins" look good. Mmmmm...I've never met a jello salad I didn't like!

    Unfortunately I don't make it now since Andy doesn't care for it. And the buffet jello you get at restaurants just doesn't taste as good as "Knox Blox"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...