Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kindness

.. . .. . .. . .. . .. .. . .. . . .. . . .. . ... . .. .. . . ... .. . . .
I don't know if you caught this line in my post the other day, where my four year old son, Caleb, will regularly pray,  "Dear God, help us to be kind and loving".  And yesterday, I spoke of spreading a little bit of "kind and loving", with our Valentine's cards - taking them to my husbands co-workers.

As I sat to my morning devotions this morning... this very theme was running through the pages of the chapter I'm in.

Kindness.

I don't mean to get hung up on this subject line... but it keeps coming to my mind and to the forefront.  I think Someone might be trying to get my attention with it - what do you think?

This one line really hit me hard over the head.

"Familiarity can become an enemy of Kindness."

Ouch! 

It's true, though. 

It's easy to think that we can get away with being unkind to our spouses, our children or even are own family members because they know us best.  We settle for "it's just the way we are" - or, we really aren't this unkind, (on a regular basis), but... "they'll get over it".

This convicting illustration was used.  (I'm paraphrasing it a bit.)

"A mother developed a habit of being cross and complaining at home.   Away from home she was as sweet as sweet could be.  (Oh! this sounds like me.)  One night after she was especially irritable, she heard her child pray, 'Dear God, make Mommy be kind to us like she is to people we visit.'

"At first she thought the prayer was funny.  She mentioned it to her husband.  He looked at her with a serious expression.  Then he said. 'You do not treat us with the same courtesy that you show our friends and people out in the working community.'

It was a real turning point for that Mama."
Me too. 

Here is another convicting thought from the morning devotional.
"True kindness is best tested with your best friends and family members.  If you do not practice kindness to those closest to you, you really aren't a kind person, after all."

Good stuff to think about...

Isn't it?

"Kindness is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) and it comes as a result of our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  It (the Spirit of Kindness) needs to be nourished, by spending time with the Word of God and through the power of the Holy Spirit."

Do I always feel like being kind and loving?  No!  Especially, in my mothering, sad to say. But a good measure of my growth is when my response towards ill-will would naturally tend to come off as rude, rough, gruff and unkind...but instead be full of grace, extending the hand of mercy...seasoned with salt.

Kindness.

"Dear God, help me to be kind and loving."



3 comments:

  1. Oh, that is SO true! Sometimes I feel like since having children I've become much less compassionate to my husband. The whole familiarity thing. I think we would all do better to pray for love and kindness each day. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one hit home, Bev. I had a similar experience when Nate told me that I should always call everyone in our family on the phone because I talk so much nicer to other people when I'm on the phone than I do to the family in person. I laughed, but it was a huge wake-up call, because he was telling the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT, great post! I know I can be guilty of not being kind to my family at times. Great thoughts to think and treasure today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...