Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

What was her secret?

... . .. . .. . . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . . . .. . ... .. . .  .. .. .
You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise (glorify) your Father in heaven.  ~ Matthew 5:14-16


Are you happy?  By that, I'm asking, are you content?

This thought struck me, the other morning, as I was reading in my devotional.  I don't know if I would have ever put the two thoughts together - this one of me being a light in this world coupled with the thought of contentment.

The story was shared of a young woman who had a husband who was no Prince Charming!  He wasn't handsome.  He was slow of speech.  He wasn't exactly lazy but money didn't flow into the home very freely.  Their vehicles showed the obvious...rusty, battered and bent.  They lived in old trailer (not even a double-wide) which lacked in charm.  But she had it painted white and set a chair on the front porch.  She planted flowers along its frontside and around back and fixed up a picket fence, along the driveway where red roses were blooming beautifully and given to their climb. 

When visitors knocked on the front door, unannounced in their coming...they noticed that the lawn was freshly mowed.  The young mother opened the door with a quiet smile. a trim dress and her hair was neatly combed.   Her children were polite and well mannered.  The aroma of the home kitchen flooded through the open door... it was good!  She didn't have much, but she made the most of what she had. 

What was her secret?

Apparently, contentment doesn't show up just only on your face but it can be evidenced in all areas of your life... and quite frankly, contentment can even show up in your yard. 

I love how this women's attitude, of her given situation, filtered through to all areas of her life.  It was noticed.

As a mother and as a homemaker, myself...this challenge is ever before me.  I'm the light...they see...in this place.  My husband and children know if I'm burning brightly, with contentment, or not.  Contentment, true contentment, doesn't ponder quandary while no one is looking.  It shows up in my smile, my speech, my body-language...my yard.  Contentment is like a lit candle, satisfied to burn brightly in a dark place, high on hill for all to see.  Contentment isn't guady.  Nor, is it outrageous in it's display.  It's simplistic in it's form.  Quietly reflecting...

It matters.  Here's why it matters.

The old saying sums it up so well, "Happiness is not in having what you like, but in liking what you have."

... all to the glory of God.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the timely encouragement. You have such a sweet way of sharing the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful!!! Refreshing and oh so true.

    Thank you for the thoughts and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Thankyou. Just what I needed this cold winter night while I am nursing a cold and a lukewarm cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Bevy! I love when you write like this - it often gives me insight, encouragment and things to ponder in my heart! :) God uses you in my life to work on matters of my heart, it's good for me! :)

    Thank you for all your comments in regards to my dad's passing. Your prayers and support are greatly appreciated! Thank you for being 'there' and I know you understand - and I am sorry for your loss as well - this is not easy stuff! I would totally use those two listening ears of yours and a cup of coffee if I was closer! ;) I am thankful to have the Lord to lean on!! ♥ Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gracious.

    When you look back at 2012 this year when it's over, I think you'll find that this is one of the finest post you've ever written.

    Lovely.

    Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...