Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

God On The Mountain

... .. .. . .. . . .. . .... . .. .. . .. .. .... .. . . .. .. ... .. . ..
Did you enjoy your "extra" day, yesterday? 

February 29th!  It comes around every now and again...but none of us are guaranteed an extra day, let alone the next one.  Are we?

Yesterday morning I received a phone call.  Sad news.

It was one of those moments when you can sit there and weep.  "Weep with those who weep" or cling to truth.  Truth that God is faithful.  Never changing.

You see, Monday evening.  I had the distinct privilege to go to an Informational Meeting for the Boys Camp my sister, Gladys, is the head cook for.  I talk of this place a lot.  It's where our family spent Christmas, this past year.  It's where my brother, Joel, as decided to also spend some time, in volunteer service, as a maintenance guy and one-day, Chief for the boys that live there, year round.

I met a lot of the staff that evening.  At least their faces stick out in my mind.  I sat and listened to the staff (that were present) sing this song, as part of their presentation...I even hummed along...I love this classic Southern Gospel song.
God On The Mountain.


I want to share the lyrics of this song with you. 

Read the words closely and carefully.  They have been chorusing round and round in my heart and mind for the past day and a half...

"God on the Mountain"
words and music by Tracy G. Dartt (I know it to be sung by the McKamey's)


Life is easy when you're up on the mountain
And you've got peace of mind like you've never known.
But then things change and you're down in the valley.
Don't lose faith for you're never alone.

For the God on the mountain is still God in the valley.
When things go wrong, He'll make it right.
And the God of the good times
is still God in the bad times.
The God of the day is still God in the night.

You talk of faith when you're up on the mountain.
Oh but the talk comes easy when life's at its best.
But it's down in the valley of trials and temptation
That's when faith is really put to the test.

For the God on the mountain is still God in the valley.
When things go wrong, He'll make it right.
And the God of the good times
is still God in the bad times.
The God of the day is still God in the night.

For the God on the mountain is still God in the valley.
When things go wrong, He'll make it right.
And the God of the good times
is still God in the bad times.
The God of the day is still God in the night.
The God of the day is still God in the night.

***

The phone call that came was to say that a family from camp was to now trying to wrap their hearts and minds around the lyrics of this song and attempt to understand it to be part of their own personal experience.

As of Monday night...they could stand and sing these words.  But as of Tuesday morning...they were called to embrace them and wear them like a warm woolly coat.  Could it be?

This particular family was recently rejoicing that the youngest daughter (13 yrs old) had been seizure free since about January.  I don't fully know her (whole) story...

But life was (relatively) easy.  At it's best.  All right and good...  for this young life.

This family having gotten home pretty late, that night, decided to all sleep-in the following morning.  The mother went to wake her sleeping beauty only to discover that her young daughter had passed away - at some point during the night, in her sleep.

The Mountain had been rocked.  But God had not!  This was something completely shocking.  Unexpected.  

As I heard the news.  I could relate to their loss.  Their questions.  This trial.  This reality...this unexpected blow.

I could either weep with them or embrace the truths found in this song.  God is still God!!

I did both.

None of us are promised an extra day ... let alone the next, and the next.

I also know that this mountain, though it had been shaken, has not been moved.  The immediate family, the other families of this camp and all its staff...others that are closely tied to this story are all affected.  This isn't easy... but they stand bed fast on the solid rock - CHRIST JESUS- who will never be shaken.  They have a hope and a surety that they too one day will be at HOME, with the Lord, as well.

Will you join me in praying for this dear family?

4 comments:

  1. So very sadden to hear this. I pray that this family turns to, leans on and trusts in the Lord through this very sad and hard time. ♥

    The words to that song are beautiful and so full of truth - thank you for sharing them - I may just copy and print them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our landlords used to go to church with the Hartzler family. Their son is a chief at Bald EAgle. I too heard of this sad news on Tues. Praying for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my heart aches for this family! I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lyric...
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...