Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wet Bottom Shoo-Fly

.. . . ... . . .. . . .. .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . .. . .. . .. . . .. . .

It was ALMOST sacrilegious to NOT have something baked, sitting around the house.  At least, if you grew up Mennonite like I did.   It still can be that way for me - some days.  Growing up... we always were baking something and had it ready and waiting if company popped in unexpected or what-have-you.  You just never knew.  With a large family... we HAD to have baked stuff around the house... just for us.  It was a necessity.  Seriously.

The other day, I just so happened to have an extra crust... and decided to whip up this (Wet Bottom) Shoo-Fly Pie.  I then stuck it in the freezer - for one of those moments.  You know?

You have heard of Shoo-Fly Pie.  Yes?

If you haven't... you're missing out on a fine piece of history pie.

I'll share my recipe with you.  If you don't mind...

Wet Bottom Shoo-Fly Pie
1 9" unbaked pie crust...ready and waiting.  You can use any kind...you're favorite.  Even store bought.  But I highly encourage you to make your own flaky crust... with practice, it's pretty easy.  You can always try this one.

1 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1-2 T. butter

Mix into crumbs.  Set (not quite) half aside.

To the rest of the crumbs add 1 cup of molasses or King Syrup (I highly recommend K.S.).  Dissolve 1 tsp. baking soda in 3/4 cup boiling water and add to molasses mixture.  Add 1 beaten egg, mixing well.
Pour into unbaked pie shell; cover with remaining half of crumbs.
Makes 1 9" pie.
Bake at 375* for 10 minutes, then at 350* for 30-40 minutes.

***
Anyone want to guess the reason why this pie might be called Shoo-Fly?

Oh, and psst...

Don't come over today for a piece of pie.  Unfortunately it's already gone.... yikes! 

Not saying though, that I wouldn't want your company. 

4 comments:

  1. Yum~~Shoo-Fly Pie!! And Funny Cake!! Ya just have to pity anyone who wasn't raised PA Dutch, don't you? Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already gone - perfect compliment to a baker and cook.... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Shoo-fly pie, but never had one or made one. I might just have to whip one of these up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! You have a lot of great recipes on your blog. I heard of Shoo- fly pie, but I've never had it. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...