Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

(homemade) garden tea concentrate

.. . . . .. . . .. . . . . . . .. . . . .. . . . .. . . . .. .. .. . . . .. . .... . .. . .. .



Today, I thought I would share with you a recipe for a refreshing summer drink.  This is always nice to have on hand.   Something different besides a cool glass of water.  You can always add lemon slices for an even nicer touch.
If you have access to a patch of tea... go for it!  Make this.

Homemade Garden Tea Concentrate

4 cups water
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups sugar (I only use 1 cup)
1 T. lemon juice
2 cups packed tea leaves (I'm talking Peppermint, Spearmint, Woolly Mint, etc.)

Bring first two ingredients to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.  Turn off heat.  Add tea leaves & lemon juice.  Let steep for 5-6 hours.  This makes 1 quart of concentrate.  (Can freeze!)  Add three quarts of water to make one full gallon of tea. 


I will often make enough for three batches, at once. Putting the remainder in quart jars to freeze.  I don't pick off the tea leaves, either - I leave them on the stem (but washed and picked over, meaning I do not let leaves with spots or whatever on them. ) and just tie the bunch off and set them into the simple syrup to brew.  Strain  the tea, if you like.

Enjoy your tea - with me!

5 comments:

  1. I like how you serve your tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sweet Bevy!! I am trying to catch up on a couple of my blogging friends...I am so behind! It's nice to get a picture of you in life from these last couple of posts:) And, a GREAT tea concentrate recipe...it's so nice to have a kitchen and be able to try these things!!! much, much love & miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I wish my peppermint patch was bigger! I want to make some of this! It looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. I’m a lifelong antiquer, and am making my passion for antiques a full-time business by selling antiques online. I’m blogging about my experiences at my brand-new blog, Wisdom Lane Antiques: wisdomlaneantiques.blogspot.com. Stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just great!

    I'm looking forward to trying my hand at it in the next week. I have spearmint, lemon balm and peppermint. I think they should all work well and nicely for this. Temps are in the 90s now and I'm here to say that summer is HERE;)!

    Have a cool weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...