Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Can we say... Musty?

. .. .. . .. .. . .. . .. .. . .. . . .. .. . . .. . .. . . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . ... . .. . . ..
You want something different for your next summertime picnic?  I did. 
For this social we just had on Sunday, I went looking for a recipe to use up some leftover cornbread that I had around.

Actually, I had heard of this recipe.  Cornbread Salad.  But I had never tasted it before.
My photo of it looks horrible.  You cannot see the pretty colorful layers - that really did look so pretty there in that trifle bowl.  I got to it too late... in taking a decent photo of it.

But it was certainly tasty.  And.  It's true!  The flavors meld together so that by the next day or two... the salad is even more tasty.  Almost musty, like.

Have you ever heard of that description?   Musty...?
***
I found the recipe HERE...with video step by step directions by Paula Deen, including, of course, a beautiful photo of it.

1 batch cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes, recipe follows

1 (14.5-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can niblet corn, drained
1 medium Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 (8-ounce) bottle ranch dressing
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish

Directions

In the bottom of a large glass bowl, place cornbread cubes. Layer beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and cheese on top of cornbread. Spread ranch dressing evenly over cheese. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.


Cornbread:  (or, use your recipe...)

1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 1/4 cup for greasing pan
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1 cup cream-style corn
2 eggs

***
Let me explain "musty"... 
 
Funny story and childhood memory coming up.
 
I remember as a young gal - we had Sunday Dinner company.  My mom had made this particular dish - I can't remember what that was now anymore.  But the family we had over that day... well, the wife - she was quiet and meek and gentle but her husband was very loud, boisterous and for sure -rather outspoken - with a sense of humor.  But if you didn't know him that well... well.  It could have been "interesting".  (At least this was in my recollection as a youngster - I actually have a couple of stories of this couple/family). 
 
Anyway. 
 
This man pipes up... pretty loudly.  Speaking to my mom... he says,  "Rhoda, This dish tastes musty".  And left it at that.
 
My mom was "so offended" - I don't think she knew what to say or do.  I remember the look on her face and the gulp she choked down. My dad sort of spit out his mouthful of water...(I just made that part up.)
But, I think this man caught on to my mom's "silence" and started to laugh.
 
"I meant musty as in MUST HAVE MORE!", he explained. 
I can't be sure, but I think his wife gave him that stiletto elbow and an exasperated..."Sylvan!".
 
Thank God for his explanation.  And if truth be told.  I think I've even heard my own mother, since, using that phrase every now and then - always with a laugh in her voice and a twinkle in her eye.
 
So.  Yes!  This is one of those recipes that by the looks of it... you're not so sure... until you taste it. 
 
It's certainly, can we say... Musty?
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Musty.. I knew exactly what you meant. My dad used to say that.. "Must we have some more." right after saying the word of course.. Tough week for me... My dad's memory day is this Sat.. staying home for some family time.. just the 3 of us.. is the plan.. Also, Ralph's mom and our nephew's b-day party/swim picnic at our house.. is Sunday.. Busy day.. to rest up for. Hope you are doing well. Finally remembered to check in on your blog today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I so needed to laugh today! You definitely did it with that story! When you said musty all I could think of was my grandma's basement in the middle of a humid summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...