Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Waking up, brave!

. .. . . .. . .. .. . .. . . .. . . .. .. . . .. . .. . .. . . .. ... .. . .. . . .. . .. . .. . .. ..
The sun was shining brightly.  The birds were singing their praises.  So, I decided to join them.  I headed up the wooden hill and into the children's bedroom.

A quick glance at the calender, that morning, reminded me of the upcoming doctor appointment...at 9:30am.  Sharp!

Yikes!  This doesn't happen very often where the children are still asleep in their beds and we have a schedule to keep, that requires me to wake them up. 

"Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning,
It's time to rise and shine.
Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning,
I hope you're feeling fine.
It's time to wake up you sleepy heads...".

My not-as-loud-as-I-could-have singing filled the room.  Soon sleepy litttle heads and bodies began to twitch and stretch.  They, all three, began to stir and open their eyelids... pop! up went baby Jayne's head... then Caleb and soon Aubrey followed suit.

You see!  I was nervous.  The night before I had mentioned to Caleb that we had a big day coming up (the next morning) and that we had a doctors' appointment.  He quickly asked "why?", and wondered who was going to be sick in the morning.  To which I replied, "No one.  We'll talk about it when we wake up."  We were going because of him.  He needed to follow up with a couple of immunizations to finish out before the upcoming school year... and I fully remembered how "shocked" and adament he was last month that, that wasn't going to happen again.  Ever! 

How to explain this?  This upcoming - here we go again - you need two more shots to finish out what you need for school, etc.

So, as I'm singing this song and by now, they're now fully awake... I could sense a real peace in the room.  They were smiling!  And Caleb belts out from the top bunk.

"Thanks for singing us awake this morning, Mom."

"Oh, you're welcome, buddy." I felt his gratitude.  I sensed his joy in receiving that sort of welcome to the day.

And that was the lead-way into the "plan for the day".  And, you know what?  He actually was quite okay with the fact that he was going to be getting two shots and to make a long story short (and to get to the point) he was VERY brave and quite the big boy about it.  I was so proud of him.

I've had to think about it, since.  Maybe? Obviously.  It was my tone of the morning - casually waking them up with song that brought about a difference in one, Caleb's response, but two - all three of the children were on a happier note - all around.  All day!  And, so was I.
***
How often, as an adult, when faced with a challenging day ahead do we crumble under the dread of it all?  When if instead we would start our day with "a song" -every day- there would be much more "at peace" and joy?

Zephaniah 3:17 - The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will  rejoice over you with loud singing.

Knowing this.  Having this verse as a blessing-verse for life - my life, and yours - as a Christian, is comforting.  It's assurable.  We have a Heavenly Father who sings over us.  LOUDLY!  He loves us!

I don't know about you.  But in thinking about it like this, it makes me feel, well ... I feel brave!  At peace.  Ready to face the day...no matter what it brings.

4 comments:

  1. Boy this post brings back memories. I haven't heard the phrase "wooden hill" in many years -- since my great-grandparents died.
    Music is so powerful. What a lovely way to wake your kids. Singing does make a difference. It gives us a "happy heart".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your children reflect your parenting style. How rewarding. You and Scott are raising such wonderful and beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a sweet and smart momma! Loved the thought of singing over our kids and our heavenly father singing over us.
    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting.. Sounds like Caleb was brave and had a good nurse.. That was our last visit to our pediatrician ever due to attitudes of the staff. and how Chantel reacted badly.. She never kicked and spit before or after that appointment.. Kicking.. maybe.. if someone got to close due to stranger anxiety. Punching the nurse before my c-section with her. :-) Finally found your blog again, when I went to post mine of FB.. when I don't see it there.. I just forget to look.. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...