Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

31 days :: A Family Gather Ring

.. . .. .. .. . .. .. . . .. . .. .. . ... .. . .. .. . .. .. . . .. .. .. .... .. . .. .. . .. . 
This is a bit of a different sort of post - having to do with this series...but I'm going to incorporate it in anyway.

My Mother's side of the family is having their Family Gathering today. She has three older sisters and each year they take turns as to who is in charge.  This year falls on my Mom - and her children - to plan it, organize it and basically "run the show".  She pretty much divided out the details and I took on the appetizers and table decorations.  We're figuring on nearly 100 people (including children), but we also know not everyone will be able to come...due to necessary travel, new babies or a work schedule that would keep them from attending.

I got to thinking about what I was going to do; something that would be easy, whimsy and not too expensive for these table decorations and I came across a few ideas that I immediately knew I wanted to incorporate.  One being this...
Canning Ring Pumpkin.


I first saw the idea from Julia, at Blissfully Content... and quickly made me own.
If you Google this, they are dime a dozen.  So easy to do and everyone's creativity begins to shine, particularly in the area of the stem.  I just used a clothespin for mine.  I added a little bit of green scrap fabric and twisted a potato bag wire around it to resemble curly vines...

 ~~~

In reading Andrea's blog - Keeping it Cozy - this post that she did on a Rustic Autumn Table caught my eye and gave me another idea for what to do for our family gathering's table centerpieces.  


I asked Andrea's permission to use one of her photos because I knew that our family gathering wouldn't happen until way after this post was prepared.

 But I'm planning to line the table with canning jars and throw in a few ears of corn like this and a few other smaller jars with corn kernels, just in the bottom of the jar, and set in autumn scented tea lights.
Interspersed with the canning ring pumpkins.

Obviously, I don't have photos of this - yet! - because we're actually enjoying the family gathering, right now, as you're reading.  It's an all day event...

But.
I feel like there is something to be shared at some point during the day - sort of like an object lesson. A take-away of sorts.
  And this is what, I believe, will tie this post into 
my Hearts at Home :: Extending Hospitality series.


A Family Gather Ring

(Holding up one of the pumpkins  - I explain I have two different sizes. I explain that the table decorations were my idea - hopefully not too corny ;) and that the pumpkin idea came first and what I'm about to share came later.) 

You know, as a family we are here today and if you will - let's allow ourselves to represent one of the rings in this here pumpkin. All of us together making up one.  Some of us are rusty.  Some of us are shiny and new.  Some are large and some are small.  You know what I mean...

We all play a part in this making of a FAMILY GATHER RING pumpkin.

As you can see, these rings are bound together by a piece of jute string.  Tied - together.  They don't stay together without it.  Nothing really separates "us" (illustrating the pumpkin) because we are all made from the same thing.  Though there are differences - as I've already alluded to - we're in this together.  We're the same.

The jute string is interesting in and of itself and it represents something too.
 It's a cord of three strands...  it's not easily broken. (Ecclesiastes 3:12)  It's kind of like a you and a me and Jesus!

We have one central theme running through us... and that is the presence of Jesus!

I know we, as family, have our moments.  Our differences.  We don't always agree on or about everything, the same, every time.  But if we're humble enough to realize this... this is the most important... we all are the same.  We are from the same family lines... that run deep and that can't be ignored.  We need one another.  Whether we like it or not.  We can learn so much from each other. Lean on one another.  Pray for one another.  Serve one another.

These things have happened and will continue to happen.  I am sure.

I don't know about you... but I'm grateful today for the many blessings that have come through being a part of this particular family.  I'm grateful to be tied together - with you!!  And You.  And YOU!!!

We have a good and godly heritage.

Amen?

***

Click on the button below to read the previous posts in this series.  Updated Daily.
31daysofHeartsatHome

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!Have a great time.
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the day very much. Thanks for all the hard work you and your family put into today. Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...