Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, October 22, 2012

31 days :: Front Porch Friendships

. .. . . .. . .. . .. . .. . . .. . .. . .. . .. .. .. .. .. . .. . .. .. . ... .. .. .. . .. . .. .. .
I realize that to Extend Hospitality is by nature not an easy thing to do for everyone.  I've admitted it myself. That is why we're encouraged to practice it. We're called to nurture this calling.  And one of those ways - perhaps the most obvious way - is to grow deep(er) in the relationship one has with their Lord.

I was reading this morning in Mark 12, where one of the teachers of the law heard some of the others debating ... and threw Jesus his own question regarding the commandments.  He wanted to know which commandment was the most important.
 Jesus answered the man by replying, "First, know that the Lord our God is one, and to love Him; the Lord your God, with all your heart and with all your soul and with all mind and with all your strength.  Secondly.  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.  There is no commandment greater than these." (paraphrased, vs.29- 31.)

I don't know about you, but when I read the word - greater - I read the word "harder".
This is hard to do.

Let's switch gears here for just a minute. Can we?

So, I have to ask.  Are you a gardener?  By nature, is it easy for you?  Or, does it come hard for you?  You like all the prettiness of a well-tended garden and you dream - like me - to have it be so beautiful.
I read somewhere that the only garden that is truly well-watered comes only by way of sweat and tears.
They take time and energy... very hard work.
How true!  At least, for me.
I know it's now past the end of summer - fall is in it's lovely prime - and the gardening season is pretty much over.  The flower beds are getting cleaned out and prepared for the winter months to come.


Over the summer, I've had many an opportunity to host guests (both friends and neighbors) out on my front porch.  I love it!!!!!!!  It's the place I choose the most often to sit and visit.

Invest.
Show interest.
Serve.
Rest.
Shed sweat and tears.
Read.
Pray.

I purposely picked up couple of geranium plants - at the end of this summer - just to have something to nurture and tend to over winter so that I might, once again have something to make the front porch look as lovely and as homey as I can.



 

It takes time and energy.  Hard work.
So do relationships.
So does the practice of hospitality.

I encourage you to try.  At least, give it a try.
It gives a beautiful return.


***
Click on the button below to read the previous posts in this series.  Updated Daily.
31daysofHeartsatHome



2 comments:

  1. You are wise, beyond your years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree,it does give a beautiful return.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...